Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Upper feels normal, lower has a geared feel.

Thanks for the info! I'm picking it up in the morning.

Now, for that 12 step program for impulsive spending on really old, really heavy things....

Holy cow, it's a lot heavier than the owner said! I could tell right away when I wheeled my floor jack under and pumped it. He said 5 or 600, but it's got to be twice that, easily. He seemed surprised that I showed up alone, but that's how I roll.

Balanced on 2 floor jacks, with his partially crumpled dolly underneath as sort of a stabilizer, we rolled it out into his parking lot. I felt bad that we were hearing ceramic floor tiles shatter as we wheeled it out. He said they were getting replaced at some point, and always covered with a rug.

I got some scraps of wood under and picked it up with my forks. I had a feeling it might be too much in the bed of the truck, so I just strapped it on. I drove the tractor back onto the trailer, then strapped it down. With my Kubota and flat bed trailer, it was a pretty easy move. It will be in my garage for a bit while I work on it. I took off the lower pressure bar to give a bit more space to spin the dial.

Am I crazy to be thinking of polishing (maybe replating) the bright stuff, and an automotive-quality paint job? That's down the road a bit, but I keep picturing a 1st class restoration on this. Maybe I really do need help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0681resize.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	665.9 KB 
ID:	15972

Join the club. There is just something you can't explain to some people. The same bug bit me... Diebold banker's safe, Jerzy.

I got the lower compartment opened up this evening. Nothing inside except some papers (notes and receipts) and about 400 gift cards for a local resort hotel. I'm going to guess they aren't activated or have any credit on them, but why have them in the safe? I might have to drop by and see.

The combination was not even close to what had been written down. Maybe they couldn't open it to retrieve the cards, before it was sold?

Soon, I'll be stripping paint, polishing chrome, and getting it back together in a more pleasing condition.

Please keep us posted on your progress. That is a great safe, with a very appealing 'mechanical' look, that will enhance any living room or office.

I took a bit of time today to pull off the doors and hardware. I was surprised at the weight of just the doors. They don't seem that large or thick, but uppers are 45 lbs each and lower is 125 lbs. I am seeing some of the original paint under the hinges and combination dials. It had some nice pin-striping details. It's a shame it all got covered at some point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doors off.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	16073

Thread Information