Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why 3 Doors/Compartments?

I was browsing a shop with an assortment of items, and spotted this safe. Upper 2 doors open, but lower locked and no combo. It's sort of an interesting piece, and maybe I'm sort of turning into a collector, since I can't seem to get it out of my mind. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't look at it carefully, but any info or ideas of its purpose would be helpful.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U..._151217539.jpg

3 compartments is because you don't always want everybody to have access to everything.

I was wondering if it might have been for a particular type of business, etc. I didn't see any markings about what manufacturer.

I'm sort of wanting to go back when I have more time to get a better look at its condition. The car jack under the corner of it makes me wonder....

My guess is that the bottom unit will be a heavier and higher grade than the top two, allowing for lower value 'float' or stock in the two top units and the main bulk takings in the bottom. Likely to be different staff access to top two doors but only manager or owner has access to bottom. Are there any sort of deposit apertures inside either of the two top units to post stuff into the bottom safe?

Assuming the crane hinge on the bottom door isn't just for show the door is likely to be thicker and perhaps stepped in construction, although looking at the supporting carriages they don't look to be very heavy duty.

For future reference in case the image disappears from Google --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three compartments.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	15914

Nice safe! I'd be on it faster than stink, despite the jack suggesting a wheel problem. That would give a guy a huge bargaining chip.

Quote Originally Posted by 00247 View Post
    Nice safe! I'd be on it faster than stink, despite the jack suggesting a wheel problem. That would give a guy a huge bargaining chip.

Any guess what something like that is worth, or what I should pay for it? Wheels appear to be intact, just not a level floor. I'm guessing the jack is trying to keep it from rockin' & rollin' with the Victrola right next to it.

It looks like a heavy duty icebox.

Quote Originally Posted by kwoswalt99 View Post
    It looks like a heavy duty icebox.
    It does, but with a combination dial. It's still sort of cool looking. Sort of a different looking safe with the exterior hardware & links. It seems to be more of a decorative thing, since they don't lock. (I don't think) It's a more typical locking bolt inside the door edge that takes care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    It seems to be more of a decorative thing, since they don't lock. (I don't think)
    You are talking about what is called the pressure system or pressure bars. These are used to force the door into the frame very tightly before locking. This was popular for a long time as a deterrent against burglars dripping nitroglycerine into gaps between the door and frame in the hope of blowing the door open. On good safe and vault doors it even made the door water tight as protection against flooding.

Thread Information