Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default identifying warded rim 19th century lock in house museum

Hi everyone:

I'm a researcher working on a house museum. I've been tasked with finding out about the massive lock on the front door. Family tradition (as in the family that owned the house) says it goes back to the 18th century, but it has machine screws and I would be shocked if it isn't 19th century. The curator is looking into taking it off the door to look for makers marks, but since this a museum setting, this may not be possible. It is fairly distinctive, so I'm hoping someone will recognize it. It's probably New England made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lOVGsE6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	950.3 KB 
ID:	15898 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6Ua808A.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	980.3 KB 
ID:	15897

No expert here but I agree it's from the 1800's, and made in New England. Even if the house is from the 1700's, installing a newer lock is not an uncommon practice. The lock case cover appears to be a cast iron piece and not blacksmith made. I don't believe cast iron lock cases were made here during the 1700's. Not allowing the lock to be opened and inspected because the house is a museum, is a little ridiculous. Given the circumstances, this should be done by a qualified locksmith. A lock is first, a small machine, not just some pretty metal attached to a door. If the lock breaks, will they just live with it? You might want to contact the Lock Museum in Terryville, Conn., as there you will find someone with more expertise on early U.S. residencial door locks. It's very possible they have one just like it. Doug

Thread Information