Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Yale Mortise lock spindle search

All,

Hello - I'm searching for a replacement spindle for a Yale Mortise lock. Attached are pictures of the spindle (broken), the handles, as well as the lock set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken_spindle.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	15868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle_detail.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	15869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle_detail_side.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	15870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle_drawing.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	15871

Name:	handles.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	15872

Name:	rear_lock.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	15873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_lock.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	15874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side_lock.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	15875

I've found from searching the web that this is a Yale specific spindle. I have been unable to find anyone local that can source this. More information would obviously help me in finding a replacement. As you can see, the spindle isn't fixable, but needs replaced.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tige Chastain

Quote Originally Posted by tigechastain View Post
    All,

Hello - I'm searching for a replacement spindle for a Yale Mortise lock. Attached are pictures of the spindle (broken), the handles, as well as the lock set.
    I've found from searching the web that this is a Yale specific spindle. I have been unable to find anyone local that can source this. More information would obviously help me in finding a replacement. As you can see, the spindle isn't fixable, but needs replaced.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Tige Chastain
    Likely long obsolete. Progressive Hardware Co. makes a line of universal replacement spindles, see pdf at the link. I believe their #45HD which is 3/8" square x 5" long with swivel center would be adaptable for your application. You would probably need to have a machinist mill a groove in each section of the spindle to accept your knobs and possibly drill and tap to receive the knob setscrews. Your locksmith may have these in stock or could order it for you. No. 45HD lists for $13.72. In the alternative, there are firms that specialize in lock restoration who could fabricate one from scratch but this would be costly or perhaps a competent welder may be able to repair your existing spindle.
    http://progressivehardware.net/image..._11x17-PDF.pdf

Pete Schifferli

If still trying to find this lock spindle try here and send them the picture maybe they can help.... < http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/door-knob-spindle>....Timothy.....Good luck let us know how it work out.....

Recheck it good to House of Antique Hardware or < http://www.houseofantiquehardware.co...-door-hardware > You should see Door set Parts than open Spindles. You may have to measure the spindles you have to get the right one......Timothy.....

Thread Information