Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chatwood Cannonball ?

There is a Chatwood Cannonball safe on Ebay UK that looks very interesting.

Redoubt thanks for posting this.

It's on Tom G's doorstep in Devon so I expect he might jump on that for spares or restoration. If this had popped up a few years back when I had the workshop space to store and work on it, I'd be down there in a flash.

Im sure others must know of further examples, so far that's only the 5th one that Im aware of here in the UK, assuming Tom has only got the one.

The problem is that it is locked - even when it is open, you need to be lucky to take it apart to fix it, without a working key because of it's design.

None of that would put me off TBH, I know the 'bombs' are very different to their other stuff but Ive opened and worked on that many Chatwoods I'm sure I'd figure it out. It would be a personal leisurely project where time would not be an issue, and would have all my tools and machinery to hand. Changing circumstances means It's not going to happen anyway though, so it's pointless me getting starry eyed thinking over it!

Looking at the pictures on eBay, the one big thing that would concern me is whether it's ever been submerged under water. About 20 years ago I spent days opening a Duplex in a similar condition. The previous owner had failed to admit it once spent a year under 3 or 4feet of salt water in a seaside hotel basement. Chatwoods tight tolerances combined with their heavy construction meant total seizure of everything- the 10 lever double-bit lock, handle spindle in the door, and worst of all the boltwork both in the bolt case and the body. I dread to think what one of those cylinder safes would be like if subjected to the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    None of that would put me off TBH, I know the 'bombs' are very different to their other stuff but Ive opened and worked on that many Chatwoods I'm sure I'd figure it out. It would be a personal leisurely project where time would not be an issue, and would have all my tools and machinery to hand. Changing circumstances means It's not going to happen anyway though, so it's pointless me getting starry eyed thinking over it!

Looking at the pictures on eBay, the one big thing that would concern me is whether it's ever been submerged under water. About 20 years ago I spent days opening a Duplex in a similar condition. The previous owner had failed to admit it once spent a year under 3 or 4feet of salt water in a seaside hotel basement. Chatwoods tight tolerances combined with their heavy construction meant total seizure of everything- the 10 lever double-bit lock, handle spindle in the door, and worst of all the boltwork both in the bolt case and the body. I dread to think what one of those cylinder safes would be like if subjected to the same.
    They had problems with wear from both the crane hinges and the boltwork, even before you try and deal with what is likely to be lock problems and on top of all that, possible rust problems. It sure aint the same as any of the other Chatwoods -they didnt even have the same type of mechanism as the American equivalents (which they copied the idea from).
    I wouldnt recommend even an experienced chap such as yourself, on a mission, trying, unless you have taken one apart before (and preferably have it handy to consult frequently.)

Just checked in on that sale auction.......its at £471 at the moment with a few hours to go. Can I ask to those who know about these things and bearing in mind what has been added to the thread does that seem a reasonable price ?

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    Just checked in on that sale auction.......its at £471 at the moment with a few hours to go. Can I ask to those who know about these things and bearing in mind what has been added to the thread does that seem a reasonable price ?
    If you can get it open its a good price. If you can't, it isn't.
    on a minor note the central handle st the top of the hinge is broken.

What is the weight of it? Because if the buyer can't open it then that determines it's approximate value as heavy scrap iron!

£630 ! Wow

Ive been asked to work on this safe it has a broken key with the jammed bit inside. I suggested it get sent to me to work on

Thread Information