Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Hobbs lock info

Default Hobbs lock info

Does anybody have any way to date this lock? I just got it and have not been able to get any definitive date info. I suspect late 1880, but that is more of a guess than anything else. I have enclosed 3 pictures to help with the analysis.

Any info on this lock would be appreciated. I was curious what "Protectors" meant.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key600.jpg   LockKey.jpg   LockSideSerial.jpg  

The patent protectors where marketed as protection against fraud (the bolt thrower prevented the lock from being half thrown due to tampering with the key) and protection against thieves (the anti pressure device frustrated picking)

No dating info is available from lock serial numbers, only the safe number can do that.

I believe that the number 87549 is a Milner number dating approximately to 1877.

Milner initially used Hobbs & Co. to make the locks for their safes from the late 1850's until the early1880's, an arrangement which ended when Hobbs Hart started manufacturing their own safes in competition. Milner then set up their own lockmaking department.

The lock conforms to Milner's patent of 1854 for gunpowder resistance by reducing all the free space within the casing by use of a solid iron block casting and a brass collar with restricted movement for the key.

For external recognition purposes the escutcheon had a keyway configuration of 'five to six' wheras the subsequent Milner manufactured locks had the appearance of 'five to seven'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner escut. 1.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	15787

Thread Information