Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Pancake Padlock from E-BAy

I found this on E-Bay and already sold for $300.00 with no key. Just wonder about this padlock for MOPAC RY WOMEN TOILET? This is first I ever heard locking up lady toilet in those year....Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VINTAGE MOPAC RY WOMEN TOILET LOCK {$300.00} 1.jpg   VINTAGE MOPAC RY WOMEN TOILET LOCK {$300.00} 2.jpg   VINTAGE MOPAC RY WOMEN TOILET LOCK {$300.00} 3.jpg  

And there was an equivalent for the men's toilets!

https://www.railroadmemories.com/dynapage/IP2351.htm

Default Pancake Padlock from E-BAy

WOW! Going for $700.00 that a lot of money for it but good thing have key.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    WOW! Going for $700.00 that a lot of money for it but good thing have key.....Timothy.....
    One of each, (Men and Women), was listed as a set on Ebay in 2002 for $2600.00 US. Didn't sell. You can see them on my museum site at the link. http://www.1st-net-lock-museum.com/lp4.htm
    BBE.

Thumbs up Pancake padlock from eBay

Do you buy & sell at her auctions? Do you find her auctions get the best $$ for sellers........ Donnie

BTW, you have a great collection

So the Missouri Pacific locked their bathrooms, eh? I have always seen pay toilets as pure EVIL! I don't quite understand why the RR would want to lock them!

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
    So the Missouri Pacific locked their bathrooms, eh? I have always seen pay toilets as pure EVIL! I don't quite understand why the RR would want to lock them!

Thoughts?
    They probably thought they would be used for immoral purposes if they didn't!

Hmmmm... unless they locked them when the car wasn't actually in use, so people couldn't get a "free ride"?

In older times the toilets emptied straight down onto the tracks. When the train was in a station this was undesirable because it was unsightly and stinky, so conductors would lock the doors to prevent use until the train was moving and away from the station.

WYLK - RATS! You beat me to the post! Today I asked a fellow railfan of the proper age group about the lock, and he said EXACTLY what you did!

Thread Information