Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oh How I love a good debate. The difference here is that you used your ignorance of the subject as a rebuttal to refute the facts that were given you. Boy doesn' t that sound familiar. Anyway, yes the door is quite solid for several inches of hardened and tempered manganese steel separating the outer and inner locking mechanisms. You will never be happy until you get that outer door unlocked. At least I wouldn't.

You're very eloquent, I give your that. Sometimes simpler language is more effective in the form of "this won't get you there, this don't work, and don't bother trying this". Anyways, I'm not really interested in having it drilled only because of the front being somewhat decorative. If it can't be manipulated, then it'll remain decorative, which is why I really bought it in the first place. I got it for a good price considering what cannonballs go for on ebay. It's missing a few items, the key for the time clock door and wind up keys. The door needs a slight adjusting as it doesn't close all the way, not enough to engage by using the crank. All in all, still happy with it.

Professional safe drilling to find a lost combination is usually is done with a 1/4" or smaller hole. Some techs have extremely small scopes so the drilled hole can be much smaller than a 1/4". Either way the hole is filled and can be fairly well hidden, sometimes extremely well. There have been many safes I have opened where I did not notice a drill job until I looked on the inside. In the safe trade, cannonballs are considered mechanical marvels, and that Yale time lock automatic bolt motor is nothing short of ingenious. Being that you have mechanical interests, you would enjoy it being fully functional. Jeff is close enough, whatever you invest in it will only increase its value.

Yeah, it would be neat to have it fully functional, but I have some work to do on the door to get it to close properly. I paid 800 for it so I did extremely well on that front. Is there any way to find out lineage or any type of records through serial numbers? I've noticed various areas with the same number stamped in it. The guy I purchased it from had bought it in October of 88, from a pawn shop in Gary Indiana, which is still in business today. He got it because his wife wanted it, so he made the trip from New Jersey with a UHaul trailer. The safe is labeled as a Wells Fargo safe, be cool to find out if there is any truth to it

Here's another picture

Try that again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

That is a very nice safe that deserves the effort to get it operational again. Unfortunately, there are not many who have a good understanding of the mechanics of this safe or other brands of cannonballs. There are even fewer who are willing to share their knowledge.

Doug has been an invaluable source of information for me (and many others) with my safe projects even going out of his way to provide a rare bolt missing out of one of my Mosler/Yale 5H locks. I would review his answers as your question was answered.

I too like to do all aspects of my projects, but at times I have to swallow my pride and seek assistance from those who know more than me. Each time I come away a bit smarter. Keep us posted on your progress. It is always fun to see these beauties preserved.

Thread Information