Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First off, do you consider yourself a pretty good mechanic? If not, then let someone else do this work. Second, I would not rush into doing anything at all until you have first become familiar with how it all works. And I mean very familiar. After doing this, then you should wind up the timelock movements and the mainspring to test operation with the door open. One thing you don't want to do is to wind up the automatic time lock and close the door. There is info on this forum and possibly some elsewhere. Once you have done some in depth research, then you should start asking specific questions you may have concerning the timelock or the double dial lock. Then when you do start tearing it apart, you will be ahead of the game, instead of behind the 8 ball. And post some pictures because many here would like to see it, myself included. Doug

Default Ely Norris safe

Hello, new to the forum. I just purchased a cannonball safe and I don't have to combo for it. It's a single dial safe, triple clocks on the back of the door. What do you have to do to get to the wheel pack to find the combo? I need to some guidance to achieving this. Thanks, Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

The comb lock mounted on the front plate was for use as a day lock. IIRC the plate will not come off until the comb bolt is retracted. So your choices are pretty much manipulation or drilling. Given the fact that you are obviously not skilled in either method otherwise you wouldn't be asking, I would recommend hiring out the job. Have fun with the safe. However do not , I repeat do not close the door just to see how the timelock automatic works. That's how lockouts occur.

Default Thanks Doug

Thanks for the info Doug, it was obviously useless to my question. If I recall, I didn't say anything about trying to take the front plate off the safe to expose the day lock. I'm looking for tip about getting to that wheel pack. I had the spring pack off and was playing with the gear to make the bolts throw. Obviously, put it back on to prevent "lock out". The dial is tough so I don't want to fidget with it too much and then be stuck. I guess if all else fails, Jeff Sitar lives about and hour and a half from me. I could just hire him, but that would take the fun out of it. Eric

I guess I don't understand your question since the only wheel pack on that door is inside the day lock.

Doug, I'm looking for what to do and what not to do. I want to know how extensive it is to take the door apart from the back, is it worth messing with? I really bought the safe to display with the intentions of possible restoration down the road, but it would be nice to be able to use it as designed. As you know, there isn't a ton of info on these safes or video via YouTube. You are correct, I'm not a locksmith by trade but am mechanically inclined. I'm not interested in having a locksmith drill it and scope it either, it'll just stay locked open. Any feedback is appreciated, Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 1977Vega View Post
    Thanks for the info Doug, it was obviously useless to my question. If I recall, I didn't say anything about trying to take the front plate off the safe to expose the day lock...
    To be honest I had to read that a few times in order to believe I was reading it, perhaps not the best of ways to encourage Doug to give of his time and knowledge to answer in detail- or any members for that matter- good luck with it.

Given the fact that you are obviously not skilled in either method otherwise you wouldn't be asking,

Doesnt sound like the warmest encouragement either.

Well I wasn' t trying be rude, only emphasizing the point of hiring someone with the skills. However, I see now that I did answer your question in your original post and you didn't even know it. It seems you are under the impression that you can reach the outer door lock through the rear of the door, which you cannot do as there is no access to the front. So it pays to be a little more tolerant it determining intent when you are ignorant on a subject.

Ignorant to the subject, sure. But aren't we all at some point in time? That's the reason for joining a forum board, to talk to people who have learned a thing or two because they were once "ignorant to the subject". So Doug, you're saying they're is no mechanical way to the that day lock? Drilling or manipulation is the only methods?

Thread Information