Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Please: Antique Lock & Keys?

Hi folks,

Newbie, who's always liked locks (and tried to defeat them, when an honest entry was needed, or just messing around). I came across this working lock with 2 keys, and hoped that the knowledgeable folks on the Forum might just be able to help me out.

The lock is 11" long and 6" wide, and weighs 9-1/2 lbs. I believe it's made of iron or some sort of alloy like that (magnet sticks to it), with a brass (non-magnetic) brass coverplate that swivels, and hangs down to cover the keyhole. There are absolutely no markings on this.

It's a real eye-catcher, due to it's size. I was told by one person that it might be a ship's lock. Someone else said they believed it to be a knock-off from India....a novelty item, that usually sold for $75 - $100.

Not looking to "sell it and make a fortune"....just curious.

Thanks,
    Melba (well, Mel, but that was taken)

[QUOTE=Melba;23950]Hi folks,

Newbie, who's always liked locks (and tried to defeat them, when an honest entry was needed, or just messing around)....

Sorry, I meant to add the picture...hope I did it right...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ship's Lock.jpg  

Mel you'll need to take far clearer pictures- the one you've added is large but fuzzy.

From the one you've posted it looks 90-95% Indian repro rubbish and 5-10% possibility of original. Take some clear close-ups of it, plus the rivets, sides, shackle and any stamps or markings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Mel you'll need to take far clearer pictures- the one you've added is large but fuzzy.

From the one you've posted it looks 90-95% Indian repro rubbish and 5-10% possibility of original. Take some clear close-ups of it, plus the rivets, sides, shackle and any stamps or markings etc.
    5-10% chance it's an original what?? Our digital camera wonked out last month, and my wife's phone, not only doesn't have very high resolution, but is having other issues. Here are a few more, hopefully clearer and/or more informative. As I had said before, there aren't any markings of any kind on it. We're trying to get a couple more pics. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old-Lock-2.jpg   Old-Lock-3.jpg   Old-Lock-4.jpg   Old-Lock-5.jpg   Old-Lock-6.jpg  

Modern indian.

I used to have a link for a site that imports them into the US. Cost was around $14 or thereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Melba View Post
    5-10% chance it's an original what?? Our digital camera wonked out last month, and my wife's phone, not only doesn't have very high resolution, but is having other issues. Here are a few more, hopefully clearer and/or more informative. As I had said before, there aren't any markings of any kind on it. We're trying to get a couple more pics. Thanks.
    Apologies Melba, my response wasn't intended to annoy you or stress you out.
    Further conclusions made from your additional pictures aren't going to establish any positive spin to your reaction, so on that basis I'lll take a back seat on it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Modern indian.

I used to have a link for a site that imports them into the US. Cost was around $14 or thereabouts.
    I have no knowledge of the company to have worded it as pleasantly as oldlock.
    Seems they were originally overpriced by about $10 though.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Apologies Melba, my response wasn't intended to annoy you or stress you out.
    Further conclusions made from your additional pictures aren't going to establish any positive spin to your reaction, so on that basis I'lll take a back seat on it.
    No MaxV, I wasn't offended at all...not one bit. I just wanted to know what it might be....would an "authentic" whatever-it-is kind of lock be worth $500? and the knock-offs worth $7? I think it's just an odd conversation piece, and just to let you know, I paid $3 for it at a yard sale, just because... Now if someone offered me $20,000 for it, I'm fairly certain that I'd sell it....or donate it to a museum if it was a one-of-a-kind thing from a certain era. But as it is, I think I'll just plunk it down somewhere in my poolroom, for laughs.

I appreciate all of your time. If you, or anybody else has more info on this, I'd love to hear it.

Mel

Anybody have anything else to add??

Quote Originally Posted by Melba View Post
    Anybody have anything else to add??
    Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler??

Thread Information