Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't consider myself much of a padlock collector so I held back. Perhaps this will helpful anyway.

There is a region in India, Aligarh, which makes locks like yours. They are often made for decoration only, "dust catchers" on the wall. But they also have a reputation for making fake copies of valuable locks. I believe that is what MaxVaultage was suggesting with the "5-10% possibility of original". That it might be an original big old lock rather than merely another Aligarh trinket. They do a pretty good job of making locks look old. Some of their copies fool people on eBay to the tune of hundreds of dollars.

I was struck by the crude manufacturing on your lock, the lack of any markings, the simplistic shape of the drop (keyhole dust cover) and keyhole, and that the overall layout matches most of the Indian locks. Though I'm not an expert it looks like an inexpensive wall-hanger from Aligarh.

Thanks Wylk. Yes, that's what I thought MaxVaultage meant....I think he thought I was upset because I underlined 'what'....I was only emphasizing 'what' because I didn't know what it was that it had a 5-10% chance of being. (oops, there I go again :-)

I think I'm on board with what the consensus is on this item, and I appreciate you forum folks enlightening me.

Again, thank you all,
    Melba

Thread Information