Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default What Model John Tann Safe

Hi all,

New to the forum and first time posting from Australia. I recently bought an old John Tann Reliance safe and wanted to find out more about it. It was said to be made 25-30 years ago.

First, I need to find out what combination lock it is to get the change key required for a new combination. Then, I was also told these safes have some sort of tubing embedded in the walls filled with toxic gas. Over the years, they cause the walls to expend and will eventually completely lock out the safe. Is this true?

The external dimensions are 1570 x 800 x 800mm.
    Weights 2.7 tonnes

What you do think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1704-1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	15751 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1703-1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	15752 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1700-1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	15753

Its a kromer lock. If you advise where you are i may be able to point you in the right direction for a change key.

As to whether or not it is a smoker - advise the serial number and any other marks and may be able to advise.

Thanks for the info! I'm in Melbourne. As for the serial number, where would I find it? And for markings, apart from the John Tann plate on the door, nothing else catches my eyes.

It has also got a S&G Time lock model 6270/6370

Default John Tann (Australia) Safe.

It's difficult to tell from the photograph but this is almost certainly a safe made by the joint venture company John Tann (Australia) and Wormald Safe & Vault around 1980 who were supplying cash safes and doors to such as ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, the State Bank of South Australia and National Ausralia Bank.

These were known as TLD's incorporporating a thermic lance deterrent within the door and sometimes the body. Initially the chemical used was imported from John Tann in England who acquired supplies from Brock's Explosives - a branch of the famous firework company. The replacement used comprised 6.5% aluminium powder and 93.5% Hexachloraphene supplied by I.C.I. Australia. *

John Tann England had experienced problems earlier when tubes containing the Brocks chemical had ruptured and caused a reaction with the wet concrete fill and the metal reinforcement. The result was a number of serious lockouts when keyways and KC lock spindle
    holes begand to swell and distort plus expansion of the fill causing door jams.

The chemical used in Australia had much more serious effects such as when the safe was being drilled for the fitting of sensors etc. Sometimes the filling would ignite quite fiercely and even cause minor explosions.

As the company was sold to Safe Corp. around 1986, it had not been possible to identify safes or doors which could contain this violent mixture although sometimes a letter "S" was added to the serial number for doors so filled, and "SS" when the bodies were filled likewise.

I understand that some 90% of the actual safes were manufactured by John Weighgood in their South Australia factory, eventually taken over by Safe Corp.

* It should be stressed that on no account should the body or door of your safe be subjected to anything of a violent penetrative nature even if the "S" indicator is not visible.

Default John Tann Aus

It would appear that the Adelaide factory stamped on the top corner opening edge and Melbourne stamped on the end of the top bolt opening edge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010096.JPG   100_3053.JPG  

What an interesting safe, always good to see unusual Tanns or Chubb's from overseas markets.

I'm quite sure safeman will be right with the timeframes he's mentioned, although looking at the external door furniture and the construction of the boltwork it could easily pass for 1970s or even mid 60s.

I found the serial number, it's on the top opening bolt. A07**S

This safe would appear to be from the Melbourne factory with a deterrent chemical mixture within the door and body.

Any ideas on the where to buy the change keys for the Kromer combanation locks? or the change key details, so I can ask the local locksmiths and online.

Thread Information