Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb door replacement lock...

So I bought that door I was asking about, got a big chunk off th asking price due to lost keys....

Ive already acquired a nice digital combination lock that I'm going to fit, but would like a key lock too,

when ive opened the back the lock is tiny! I've found a picture in a website that says the original lock is a Chubb C1717 are there any direct replacements?

The footprint is 3 holes, the top two 41mm apart, the third hole looks to be dead centre and 61mm down.

there is also another hole footprint, 4 holes 41 MM X approx 55 mm,

are these standard footprints?

You could get a locksmith to cut a new key for your existing lock. He would rearrange the levers so even if the old keys turned up, they would not operate the lock. That way you would know you would have no problems with fitting.

As others chime in I wouldn't be surprised if somebody on the forum has a lock for you.

Some locksmiths will salvage decent locks and rekey them when they are not busy. Then they have a stock of various common models. So they can then change them out when on the road with minimal delay. SO you might even be able to get one "Off the shelf" if you are lucky.

Whilst you are doing work on the locks, put an AED on the top lock and route the trace via the bottom lock. The funny thing is I have an AED here that I made which you could have but I bet you would buy a new one cheaper than the postage on this one as I am currently in China.

This was a common lock in a series that was commonly used for government and MOD applications, I believe?

http://emorlands.com/orchubb.htm

Similar ones come up on eBay quite often. I have at least one of that sort of version but I doubt I'd sell it, even if I could find it!

I know some of the Chubb doors have a footprint that takes an S & G keylock, but as I said above, I would just get the Chubb rekeyed.

Is that the lock they used to use on the 1,2 and 3 brick wallsafes?

Looking at that link, yes it is the lock I thought. Same as the wallsafe lock, but upshooting.

OP, I am trying to be helpful. It is up to you what you want to do but if you get a different lock you will need to do some surgery. That series of locks, for example, have very small keys with, IIRC, friction welded bits. There is a good chance that if you use a different lock the key will be larger so you might need to increase the size of the keyway. You also might have to alter the boltwork as the interference point won't, necessarily, be the same. If you ever need an insurance rating on the door you will need to mention that it is not the standadrd lock which is fitted. None of those is, per se, a major problem but why go down that route? You were talking about being on a tight budget. Any of those would cost money whereas removing the existing lock, taking it to a good locksmith and getting him to alter the combination of the levers and rekey it would be very cheap and simple.

I really like Chubb products of that sort of vintage but I think everybody on the forum would agree that you have a very high quality lock there. Anything you buy to replace it isn't going to be significantly better and might be a good deal worse!

PM sent.

They were certainly a versatile little lock which did the job very well, but to call them 'very high quality' might be pushing things a bit far.
    Bear in mind they were only used on lower range equipment, and had a basic pressed steel case with little anti-pick and no curtain.

They didn't need to be anything more as mid range stuff was covered by the larger and higher specced 6K75 lock, (Leamington, Warwick safes & doors etc) and of course the big 6K174 bankers lock for all the top stuff.

chubby, after reading your last 2 posts I noticed the OP, Jame5, hasn't been on since his initial post #1, so it might be that he has solved his problem via the link and got a lock or keys through Brian.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 13-06-16 at 12:48 PM.

Yes, I probably was a bit too emthusiastic but there are a lot of them still doing a reliable job decades after they were made. I don't remember, are the levers notched?

Earlier locks had a brass bolt with a brass stump- those had nothing on the stump or levers.
    The later majority of them had steel stumps though, and some did have a crudely cut flute with 2 or 3 levers (mostly high lift) with a straight notch. Not exactly Milners sawtooth but better than nothing I suppose :-)

With lighter end stuff you have to think- is anybody going to try to pick the lock on a brick size wallsafe or a security locker? The answer is almost certainly no. So a couple of anti picking notches would be entirely adequate to stop most attempts which would be by unskilled people.

For that door, I think he would struggle to find a more appropriate solution than getting the existing lock cleaned, serviced and rekeyed £100 ought to cover that I would think.

Thread Information