Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Red face Opening an antique safe

Hi there,

I have an antique safe that has been passed onto me from previous house owners. They could never open it and just left it there for me... I don't have any information about it besides the fact that they have tried opening it with force (see damage to lock), but gave up. My guess is that no one wants to deal with it now...

As for me, I dont know anything about safes, let alone antique safes, so any information would be highly appreciated. Also, I live in Manhattan, NY and would even consider getting a professional to take a look at the safe. I just don't think that any locksmith would be able to work with antiques like that and was thinking to start my search with this forum...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Default old safe

The safe in the picture that you are asking about is a Schwab . The rating is a Class B fire with a T20 burglary rating. The lock is a Yale OBB 3 wheel . The only thing that would be a concren is the damage around the dial ring. This could have set of the relocking pin that this type of safe has. This is a pretty straight forward safe opening. Any other questions please PM and I'll answer them. TJ

Thread Information