Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Making new keys for Victorian and Georgian box and furniture locks

I only recently realised how easy it is to pull the backing plate of these locks, and configure a key to fit.

I've collected 20-30 old barrel keys from eBay, and with the help of some solder ( when bits need filling in), and a dreamel cutting tool, I've managed to make keys to fit all our Georgian furniture locks, and our Victorian box locks. Once the backing plate is removed from the lock, it seems relatively easy to produce a key to fit.

Prior to this, I only knew of one antique locksmith in our area, and most normal locksmiths just weren't interested.

So, the point of my post is that all those people out there who are bothered about buying antiques with no keys for the locks - get yourself some old barrel keys, and have a go - mind you, I haven't tried to open a lock without a key yet!

A

Default Making new keys for Victorian and Georgian box and furniture locks

The only problem it as what kind of barrel key talking about and what kind of solder using for these barrel key...??....Timothy......

Ummm. Just your normal sort of barrel keys that you buy off eBay that fit the lock, and just the normal sort of solder.

Today made a key for a lock on my mother's Georgian bureau. Quite complicated ( in the whole scheme of things - 4 sliders need to get into correct position before the lock will open). and I will send some piccies, but easily resolved during the day.

A

Thread Information