Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default chubb door identification..

any ideas on this door guys? i'm looking for a strongroom door and this has been offered to me,
    any idea on th specs? metal thickness / weight ??

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe 1.JPG   safe 2.JPG   safe 3.JPG  

Looks like a book room type door of relatively low to moderate security, to my admittedly fairly poorly trained eye.

What are you trying to protect, what's the level of risk?
    Existing building security features?
    Domestic or commercial?
    Manned 24 hours or lock up and leave?

The quality of the walls, ceilings, floors and the door opening that it's going into are all just as important as the door itself...

It's to be used as an armoury door for a gunshop, but as a new venture we need to keep costs down but security high! The business will have a monitored alarm wired direct to the police so it needs to deter the opportunist!

What AA said! What is the bolt throwing handle like? Is it a 3 pronged wheel?

There are various forms of that door, all of which look similar. The best thing to do is to measure the thickness of the door.

Chubb doors are good quality but, of course, they made a range of 3 at this level from their 1/4" fire resisting door, 1/2" bookroom door to the standard 1" door. As the weight of the door increases so does the security- not only in terms of door weight but also in such matters as AEDs and bolt thickness.

If it is one of the doors without explosive protection it really is child's play to fit an AED.

I've been tool its approx 4" thick, no idea on the opening handle though

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The thickness you have been quoted is the overall thickness of the door including the hollow compartment at the back which houses the bolt mechanism and the locks. What you need is the thickness of the steel plate which makes up the door. That is how doors are graded.

I notice that the bottom plate of the doorframe is flat. That probably indicates that it is a 1/2" door. From memory the lighter door had a frame where the bottom was made from angle. Of course designs change and with a second hand door you can't rely on the frame being original as often the easiest thing to do is to flip the door off, leave the frame in situ and simply fabricate a new frame.

Such doors can represent excellent value for money. If you look at the cost of a strong fire door, door frame, couple of good locks, hinges and hingebolts etc. you are running into quite a lot of money and the level of security offered is not comparable to even the lightest strongroom door.

Default Sorry

Just looked again. The frame is angle so it is probably the 1/4" door. Still a good quality unit but obviously lighter and unless it has been retrofitted there will probably be no AED. There is also one minor point which needs to be addressed in constructing the walls around the frame.

Default strongroom door wanted

Any possibility of locating your business in an ex-bank building? There are many of them about these days, and many still have intact strongrooms which could be made serviceable easily. Building society, Co-op, and solicitors' premises likewise might be suitable. Several in my locality are now pubs/cafes.

Thread Information