Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default What is this Yale Tubular Emergency Key for?

This was in an old Diebold Safe I've had for around 40 years. Thank for this board I was able to reopen this one after being locked with no combo.

I never figured out what this "Yale Tubular Emergency" key that was in there is used for. It is about 3.5 inches long.

Thanks - Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_6363.jpg   DSC_6364.jpg  

Haven't seen one of those in well over 40 years! It's a "key" for a Yale tubular privacy set usually found on bedroom or bathroom doors. The odd shape is because the access hole was blocked by the exterior knob. For some reason I want to associate it with Yale's 5210 series, but that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhair View Post
    Haven't seen one of those in well over 40 years! It's a "key" for a Yale tubular privacy set usually found on bedroom or bathroom doors. The odd shape is because the access hole was blocked by the exterior knob. For some reason I want to associate it with Yale's 5210 series, but that's just a guess.
    Right you are, old Yale 5200 Series ca.1960s. Actually 5215 bedroom or 5215 bathroom function, 5210 was the entrance function. See pdf image attached from an old Yale brochure.
    Yale5200Series1950_000001.pdf

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Right you are, old Yale 5200 Series ca.1960s. Actually 5215 bedroom or 5215 bathroom function, 5210 was the entrance function. See pdf image attached from an old Yale brochure.
    Yale5200Series1950_000001.pdf
    Pete Schifferli
    Sorry typo...should read "5214 bedroom". Actually 5214 and 5215 are the same function, but 5214 had a split finish: brass outside and chrome inside. Website wouldn't allow me to edit my previous post!

Pete Schifferli
    Last edited by Pschiffe; 05-05-16 at 09:56 PM.

Thank you guys, I had been a locksmith starting in the late seventies until the mid eighties, than went into industrial electronic security. All those years I never saw one before. It was in a Diebold safe I opened around 1984 and was attached with the change key, inner door key and 2 interior draw keys. just kept them all together.

I just recently put this safe back in service with some help here and now the mystery key identified. This forum is great.

Thanks again.

Terry

Thread Information