Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default E Hipkins & Co antique safe

Hi,

I am clearing out an older relative house and I found a large heavy safe under the stairs.

I think I am going to sell it on Ebay and I wondering if any of you guys can give me any history or information to add to the listing please?

I have the original main key and drawer key. Does anyone know what the value is of this safe roughly?

Many thanks,
    Jacqui
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0128.JPG   IMG_0129.JPG   IMG_0130.JPG   IMG_0131.JPG   IMG_0132.JPG  

IMG_0133.JPG   IMG_0134.JPG   IMG_0136.JPG  

Jacqui it's always difficult to respond to these sort of safe posts without seeming harsh, so here goes as I'm not intending to be.

Your safe is an original livery example which is great and nice to see, but Hipkins as a maker were unfortunately, just another mediocre Black Country maker, also churning out safes at the lower end of the scale. If you do a google search you can find out from sites associated with the Black Country and safe trade.

The interest in such safes as 'curios' for storing wine, cigars, books etc has also been for some time now, so the market is pretty much flooded with them. All makes and all sizes being listed and 'painted up' by just about everyone from your best mates uncle to his next door neighbour! eBay, gumtree as a result always have countless different examples for sale.

Price wise it's pointless even suggesting rough figures, best go on eBay, forget the Buy-it-now listings with OTT prices and click on 'completed' listings and 'sold' listings to see what actual prices have been achieved, rather than the day dreaming prices what many sellers are hoping for. You then have a more realistic idea of a value to play with. Yours is in good condition though, Good luck..

Thread Information