Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Sargent Mortise Door Lock

Hello,

I am doing restoration work on my father's home. Perhaps the most recognizable and unique parts of the home are the French doors to the main level living room. These along with the older part of the home date to about 1920. There is a Sargent mortise-type lockset on these doors with deadbolt and top-and-bottom buttons on the door edge (I think they are referred to as "stop-work" but not certain of the terminology). It uses a modern style key rather than a skeleton type.

While it still functions, time has taken a toll on the lock hardware. There should be a plate of some sort on the door edge, which is missing. Therefore the buttons are rather loose and prone to getting caught in their too wide holes, requiring long fingernails or a screwdriver to free up. The strike plate is also cracked on one side and probably won't last much longer in daily use, especially with people who cannot seem to resist slamming the door. A photo of the door edge is below (not sure why it previews sideways, it was taken vertically and displays properly on my phone and laptop).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4552-Sargent-lock.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	566.4 KB 
ID:	15547

Does anyone know of a source for replacement parts or repair for this lockset? I'd really like to keep it, but would like even more to have a lockset that will function in daily use for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by imikem View Post
    Hello,
    Does anyone know of a source for replacement parts or repair for this lockset? I'd really like to keep it, but would like even more to have a lockset that will function in daily use for the foreseeable future. Thanks!
    You have a Sargent entry handle set which is unfortunately missing the lock front. Although Sargent is still in business, your lock is long obsolete. Such locks are still made by companies like Baldwin and Marks but retail for several hundred dollars and up! I recommend you have a front made for your existing lock, one firm that does such restorations is Accurate Lock and Hardware, see link. Won't be cheap, but short of finding a used one someplace, I believe it is you best option. http://www.accuratelockandhardware.com/

Pete Schifferli

Thank you for the suggestion, Pete. I will contact them to find out if they can help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    One firm that does such restorations is Accurate Lock and Hardware, see link. Won't be cheap, but short of finding a used one someplace, I believe it is you best option. http://www.accuratelockandhardware.com/

Pete Schifferli

Default missing dummy fore-end

The missing dummy fore-end (or faceplate) is a strip of thin flat metal, typically brass but whatever material/finish you choose, with appropriate round and rectangular holes in it. Its dimensions and thickness is whatever is needed to come up level with the surface of the door edge. The deadbolt, latch, and stop buttons should be an easy clearance fit through their respective holes. That's a job for a ruler, drill and files until everything fits easily.
    Note that the dummy fore-end covers the existing SCREWS, which fix the lock into the door. The dummy fore-end is fixed only to the actual fore-end, by 2 short machine screws - in the 2 holes currently vacant.
    Piece of scrap sheet brass could serve; I have cut replacement pieces from a plain modern fingerplate. Model shops here also sell small sheets of brass, aluminium, ... .

Thread Information