Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Exclamation Herring Hall Marvin

Hey everyone!

I'm new to forum so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot. I just bought a new safe, to me at least, that's a Herring Marvin Hall safe from the early 1900s. When I was taking the locks to off the dial to clean them... the cantilever fell off and down in the safe door. Does anyone have an idea to try and get this out? I and ready took the door off the safe and already held it upside down to get it but to no avail.

Thanks for any input! I can upload pictures too if that would help.

Pictures of the safe, dial and lock always help. if you can't jiggle it out, most likely the part you need can be found.

Default Pictures

It keeps telling me files are too large

I used to have that problem until I would reduce the image size with some photo shop thingamajig.

Default Pictures

I had to put it into a word document. I couldn't figure out how to reduce the jpeg size. 1st picture is what the lock looked like. 2nd picture I was trying to fish out the cantilever (not sure if this is what it's actually called) with a clothes hanger.
    Attached Files Attached Files

And here are the pictures --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	569.5 KB 
ID:	15531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	15532

These pictures may help to explain your difficulty. As you can see, it has several bends as well as the large hole that can easily snag onto whatever. If it was in such a position that it would not jamb the boltwork, I would say just buy mine. However, that doesn't look good. You may want consider doing the same thing I mentioned in another post on using a large hole saw to make an access hole to help feed it up into position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3499.jpg   IMG_3500.jpg   IMG_3501.jpg  

Thread Information