Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Restoring an old Mosler Bahmann

I'm early in the process of restoring my Mosler, Bahmann safe. I need to remove the lock dial and handle to properly sandblast and paint the door, there is also some visible rust on the boltwork that I want to remove. I removed the screws and plate covering the interior of the safe door and discovered only a wall of concrete. Is there another way to access the boltwork or remove the door handle, or am I going to need to chisel out the concrete? I don't understand why they would design a removable panel if they were just going to place concrete over everything and make servicing the interior of the door impossible.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Optimized-door.jpg  

Default Mosler Bahmann Safe

The M&B cast iron safe of this era had concealed bolt-work.

You had a previous question about it's ID. One of the features of this model was the holes in the top hinge leaf for lubrication.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    The M&B cast iron safe of this era had concealed bolt-work.

You had a previous question about it's ID. One of the features of this model was the holes in the top hinge leaf for lubrication.

DH
    Wow, that's actually pretty neat. Though, I'm not sure how to sandblast the door and paint it properly without removing the door handle that engages the bolts. Also, there is an access door to get to the S&G lock, and as I peer in with a flashlight, I can see some rust on the inside of the door handle, preventing the bolts from extending and retracting smoothly. I wish there were some way to gain access so that I can clean that rust off. However, if the amount of rust appears minor for a safe of about 140 years, so maybe the rust on the interior of the door isn't an issue?

Are there any potential issues in removing that concrete? Will it hurt the structural integrity of the door?

On some of those oldies, removing the lock case will allow access to the bolt handle retaining nut. Usually the boltwork can be freed up with the application of brake cleaner and /or a rust solvent. Even if you have to remove the door and put it on its side so gravity works in the liquid, I would do that before even considering going through the insulation. Accessing the boltwork directly, it is most likely covered with a plate to prevent the poured insulation from contacting it.

In looking through some pictures, I found where it looks like some creative soul used a large hole saw to access the nut. This may be preferable to removing the lock case as often the screws are so tight that accidentally breaking off half the head of a slotted screw is always a possibility. Of course, then again maybe an impact screwdriver would have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    In looking through some pictures, I found where it looks like some creative soul used a large hole saw to access the nut. This may be preferable to removing the lock case as often the screws are so tight that accidentally breaking off half the head of a slotted screw is always a possibility. Of course, then again maybe an impact screwdriver would have worked better.
    That's a clever idea! Can you share that photo with me?

Thread Information