Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hi, from Adelaide South Australia.

Hello, I'm Thez, I'm a lock and key collector, I've been collecting locks and keys for 15 years. I have thousands of keys, most of them are from 18th century to present day. Some are earlier, possibly 16th to 17th century. I first started collecting keys, then I thought maybe I can find old locks that fit the keys, or the other way around. I now have roughly 200 locks, some are padlocks, some are rim locks and various other types of door locks and even a few old coffer or trunk locks. Since then I have developed skills in key cutting and restoration of old locks including the manufacture of replacement parts that are unobtainable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing other pictures from your collection and work. Do you happen to have any unique mechanical keys in your collection you could share a picture of? (folding, detachable/changeable bit, etc...)

Welcome Thez, that's a nice French looking rim lock with keys there. Keep the pictures coming, everyone here likes looking and it sounds like you got lots more to show!

Default Folding keys

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreeKeys View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing other pictures from your collection and work. Do you happen to have any unique mechanical keys in your collection you could share a picture of? (folding, detachable/changeable bit, etc...)
    Hi, thanks for welcoming me to the forum, I have a couple of keys that fold up. The bit and pin fold inside the shank and bow effectively reducing the key to half its original length, the keys are made from sheet steel stampings with tiny spaced rivets at the bow end. The bit and pin end is made from thicker sheet steel and is fixed in place with a riveted pin. I will post a photo when I find them. Regards Thez

Thread Information