Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Asbestos - did it ever go into any UK safe fillings?

Does anyone KNOW, not conjecture please, does anyone know if any safes were built with asbestos in the fill? If anyone has information could they please tell us which ones/makers.

There are some with asbestos tape as door seals but I'm asking about fillings only.

There were a few U.S. makers that used an asbestos board, with General Fireproofing of Youngstown , Ohio being a big user of this type protection. I have seen one Mosler safe that used this type of board. Most U.S. makers used a poured type of fire protection making it more difficult to tell what is in it. I don't think it was commonly used in the 1800's, more common in the period between WWI and WWII, when the goal was to lighten the weight of fire safes that were widely used in office buildings. What surprised me though, was that it was listed as an ingredient in Meilinks poured mix, according to one of their early pre- WWI catalogs. So it appears that it was more commonly used than I previously had thought.

Huntlocks, sent you a PM.

Hello Huntlocks,

Some safe Fichet-Bauche have an asbestos sheet in their walls, called anti-combustion sheet. Model Bar, Banker GC for example. Asbestos fibers could be incorporated into the concrete in order to cure it. But I do not know of any model or the asbestos would have been used alone between steel walls.
    Best regards

No-one seems to admit it nowadays, but asbestos was considered the wonder material of its time for strength and fire resistance, so it would be hard to imagine any manufacturer not using it! A lot of the old brochures state things like using the latest strength and fire resistant fillings, if you ask Chubb safe for instance they state that they have never used it in fillings, but looking at this picture, we know
    it has been used for other parts, so it was a go to material at one time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb asbestos door.JPG  

Thread Information