Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Note it did not break at the joint. Rarely do I have to pull out the oxy/acet, although once I silver soldered some 1/4" steel plate to 1" plate. With care I could have used the oxy/acet to solder those keys together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170304_194758.jpg   IMG_20170304_195059.jpg   IMG_20170304_195334.jpg  

Here is a lever I made recently where both the fence and steel pin are silver soldered on, again with Mapp gas. Considerably more difficult than soldering those keys together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170304_201251.jpg   IMG_20170304_201320.jpg  

Another much larger lever and a key. Probably done with Mapp but maybe oxy/acet as it is faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170304_202901.jpg   IMG_20170304_202926.jpg   IMG_20170304_202838.jpg  

The point of all this is that limiting yourself to using only low temp solder is just that, limiting yourself. Thank you I am done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Pete, the vast majority of us who have been silver soldering and brazing (for three decades) have been doing so with Propane and similar gas set-ups. Im not even going to bother going into detail as this has been mentioned and established previously in other threads if not this one.

What are you going to tell us next? That fire drills are for drilling holes in fire...
    A rather terse comment that a choose to ignore. In my experience, I have found that a simple propane/air torch is just not hot enough to braze with bronze brazing rod. I am pleased that you have apparently developed the skill to do so.

Pete

Pete, what I am showing here is also known as silver brazing. What you are talking about is common brazing rods which have a higher melting point. The size of the torch matters and little propane and Mapp torches just don't throw a great enough volume of heat to deal with very much mass combined with the higher temps needed to melt the brazing rods. Huw's comment was that this is an area in which you are obviously not well informed. I am trying my best to give you some knowledge gained in my 40 plus years experience with silver solder, and that's my two cents. Doug

Thread Information