Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default WANTED: National Lock Co (Rockford, IL) chest/drawer lock (Gerstner Chest)

I have a Gerstner tool chest that is missing the lock. I would like to find an exact replacement in order to avoid cutting into the wood to make something else fit.

I have found two examples online that match my case, both produced by The National Lock Co. and their model numbers are:

B72-1-8
    B72-H-2

I am sure others will fit. Please let me know if you think you have anything that may match. For whatever its worth, the barrel of the lock is 1/2" in diameter. I have included a photo of the lock I need, along with a shot of mine. Many thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3310.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	15487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4005.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	15488

Quote Originally Posted by tachyhon View Post
    I have a Gerstner tool chest that is missing the lock. I would like to find an exact replacement in order to avoid cutting into the wood to make something else fit.

I have found two examples online that match my case, both produced by The National Lock Co. and their model numbers are:

B72-1-8
    B72-H-2

I am sure others will fit. Please let me know if you think you have anything that may match. For whatever its worth, the barrel of the lock is 1/2" in diameter. I have included a photo of the lock I need, along with a shot of mine. Many thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3310.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	15487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4005.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	15488
    You are referring to a half mortise lever tumbler cabinet lock made by the old National Lock Co. of Rockford, IL. I believe the numbers you listed are the key code numbers, not the model numbers of the lock. In any event, the successor company; CompX National of Mauldin, SC is still in business, but unfortunately all such locks are l-o-n-g discontinued. If the lock you found is close, I suggest you acquire it; it may well be as close as you will get. A copy of a Rockford catalog ca. 1920s showing such locks can be found at the link.
    https://archive.org/details/Rockford...oxesLockersAnd

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    You are referring to a half mortise lever tumbler cabinet lock made by the old National Lock Co. of Rockford, IL. I believe the numbers you listed are the key code numbers, not the model numbers of the lock. In any event, the successor company; CompX National of Mauldin, SC is still in business, but unfortunately all such locks are l-o-n-g discontinued. If the lock you found is close, I suggest you acquire it; it may well be as close as you will get. A copy of a Rockford catalog ca. 1920s showing such locks can be found at the link.
    https://archive.org/details/Rockford...oxesLockersAnd

Pete Schifferli

Pete,
    Thanks for educating me. That makes sense regarding the key codes. I also did not know the type of lock, so thanks again.
    My post may have been misleading, but I do not have any replacements at this time. I was hoping someone here might have a spare or something close. Best, Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by seobynct01 View Post
    Pls, check your inbox
    There is no message. Do you have one?

Thread Information