Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Halls or M&B

Default Halls or M&B

I picked up this safe that I was sure was a Mosler Bahmann. I plan to restore it and as I was stripping off the modern paint layer to see if any markings were present I was surprised at what I found. Does anyone know if this is a Mosler Bahmann or a Halls Safe? Does anyone have an example of what the original artwork looked like given what I could uncover?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2_2.jpg   1_1.jpg   3_3.jpg   4_1.jpg   5_5.jpg  

Early M B safes used S&G locks, then went with Yale. Jos. Hall used his own locks. Since that is a S&G lock, I would stick with Mosler.

Can you post a better picture of the decorative corner of the roping? It looks more reminiscent of Mosler than Halls, but it is hard to see it clearly. The thumbnail quality is not good enough to download and zoom in. You could also host the picture online and place it directly in the thread, more detail will show that way.

I do have some much better quality photos. Let me get them uploaded someplace after work today and I'll post the link. I appreciate the help!

Here are what photos I've taken so far. I plan to keep adding photos throughout the restoration.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1k&usp=sharing

What I am trying to do is figure out what the outside looked like so I can accurately recreate it when I paint it this summer. I have some idea so far (as you can see in the photos) but knowing for sure who made it and when is helpful. The serial number on the handle is 37279.

M&B Here is one that I opened a few years ago. Art work is is ok shape hope it helps.

One more try if not PM an Ill send them out.

Quote Originally Posted by medeco View Post
    One more try if not PM an Ill send them out.
    PM sent.

Thread Information