Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Has anyone seen this lock or it’s maker before?

This lock has been in the collection for a good while. I just recently decided to do a little research.

I am reasonably certain it is this US patent 118473 issued on August 29, 1871. This date is different from the date on the padlock. The date on the lock is not a Tuesday so it is likely a mistake, or for a patent issued in another country besides the United States.

The patent indicates the inventor lived in Jerome, Westchester County, New York. A search of the internet revealed that the Jerome area was annexed by Bronx, New York in 1874. That likely refers to Bronx County, since the city, “the Bronx”, wasn’t formed until much later. Apparently the county lines moved around back then. The only evidence remaining is “Jerome Ave”, a major thoroughfare in the Bronx. Found no evidence of a city named “Jerome”.

Another problem with the patent is the inventor's name. It is shown as “Hermon Nelsen”, however when you look at the signature; it appears to be spelled “Herman”. In the index, the name is listed as “Nelson”, (more confusion.)

All of these inconsistencies may be contributing to my inability to find any information about this maker. Would anyone else like to give it a shot? I am looking for this guy’s possible connection to other lock makers from this area of New York.

The key post being in the center of the case is one of the design features mentioned in the description.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nelsen2.jpg   nelsen.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Carlking View Post
    This lock has been in the collection for a good while. I just recently decided to do a little research.

I am reasonably certain it is this US patent 118473 issued on August 29, 1871. This date is different from the date on the padlock. The date on the lock is not a Tuesday so it is likely a mistake, or for a patent issued in another country besides the United States.

The patent indicates the inventor lived in Jerome, Westchester County, New York. A search of the internet revealed that the Jerome area was annexed by Bronx, New York in 1874. That likely refers to Bronx County, since the city, “the Bronx”, wasn’t formed until much later. Apparently the county lines moved around back then. The only evidence remaining is “Jerome Ave”, a major thoroughfare in the Bronx. Found no evidence of a city named “Jerome”.

Another problem with the patent is the inventor's name. It is shown as “Hermon Nelsen”, however when you look at the signature; it appears to be spelled “Herman”. In the index, the name is listed as “Nelson”, (more confusion.)

All of these inconsistencies may be contributing to my inability to find any information about this maker. Would anyone else like to give it a shot? I am looking for this guy’s possible connection to other lock makers from this area of New York.

The key post being in the center of the case is one of the design features mentioned in the description.
    I'm a locksmith but neither a collector or padlock expert. With that said, according Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd ed. (c) 1997 by the late Thomas F. Hennessy there were but ten padlock patents issued in 1871:
    1. 110,948; 11/17/71; J.H. Ames; Stamford, CT.
    2. 113,322; 4/4/71; G. Merkel, New York, NY
    3. 114,386; 5/2/71; W.H. Akins, Ithaca, NY
    4. 116,544; 7/4/71; D.T. Brown, Plainfield, NJ
    5. 116,972; 7/11/71; O.D. Madge; Washington, DC
    6. 116,997; 7/11/71; J.H.McWilliams, New York, NY
    7. 117,064; 7/18/71; E.L. Gaylord; Bridgeport, CT
    8. 118,473; 8/29/71; H. Nelson, Jerome, NY
    9. 120,557; 10/31/71; W. Wilcox; Middletown, CT
    10. 122,211; 2/28/71; W. Bohannan, Brooklyn, NY

Thus I would say that you have the correct patent despite the apparent discrepancy in the date. To me the cast bronze bit key and chain hole suggest that it may have been used for a railroad switch application. I hope this may be of some assistance.

Pete Schifferli

Default Has anyone seen this lock or it’s maker before?

Nice padlock you have as Pete said more like use for RR.....Timothy....

Thread Information