Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default I would like to find out the age of this UNION padlock

Hi,

As the title says I would like to find out the age of this padlock. I'm afraid it is nothing special, I'm just curious. I tried to find any info all over the web but have not found this particular model.
    It is pretty small, it has UNION and the number 182 stamped into it. I don't think it's galvanized or plated anyhow. It looks a bit shiny in the picture but that's only reflection. In real life it looks like it has been oiled and looked after over the years of its use so it has a nice patina. Thanks in advance for any help.

Laszlo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0115.JPG  

You may try here < http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Muse...eer/parkes.htm >. Well give some idea of history of went UNION padlock start.....Timothy...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    You may try here < http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Muse...eer/parkes.htm >. Well give some idea of history of went UNION padlock start.....Timothy...

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read indeed. It's nice to know that some big companies had such humble beginnings.

Unfortunately I still don't know how old this padlock could be.

I'd be happy with an educated guess.

Could it be 50 years old?

Your lock could be over maybe 100 year old. Keep this in mind as your padlock could be made in England, just maybe someone over there could give an answer of what year is it. Also remind you that there is UNION Padlock made here in USA but not same company as England......Timothy....

Thread Information