Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default 5 old padlocks I dug up

Hello all, I have a feeling I've registered for this forum in the past as the name Bower bird was already taken.

Yesterday while out metal detecting in dune of beach that has a old wharf on it I found a buried mini rubbish dump pile which included these 5 vintage/antique padlocks.

Can I please get some help IDing the makers marks on them?

The largest one of them that still has it's sliding dust cover has written on it - REG TRADE MARK with a makers mark of a face and HANDMADE SECURE 8 LEVER. I got the dust cover on it and the other one that still has its one working.

The small brass lock has- CHADMOOR ENGLISH MADE, DOUBLE LOCKING ENGLISH LEVER and a owl face looking symbol.

Another one has that owl face symbol as well as a different makers mark and TUMBLING LOCK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0273.JPG   IMG_0287.JPG   IMG_0289.JPG   IMG_0295.JPG   IMG_0298.JPG  

IMG_0299.JPG   IMG_0300.JPG   IMG_0297.JPG   IMG_0302.JPG  

Only 1 is brass unfortunately, the others appear to be mainly iron with brass hole covers.
    Does anyone have any idea how to preserve iron objects, most of my worthwhile detecting finds are copper, brass, gold, silver, most the iron things I dig up are heavily rusted junk and get's chucked.

You can easily see the list of forum members and the user names already taken when you're logged in:
    -click on 'community' in the top tool bar
    -then click on 'member list- yours appears as the only name with Bower in the title.

As regards preserving them I'd just treat them like any of your other iron finds. They'll benefit from a good general clean-up but rarity and value-wise they don't really need a 3-month museum quality preservation!

Thread Information