Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looking good. Do you know how much it weighs? It looks v heavy.

I admire your neat workshop!

Great update- it's coming along beautifully. Clear to see a lot of work is going into it. If the paint was too far gone then you obviously had little choice and made the right decision. It will be interesting to see how close the artists can match the appearance of the original artwork-looking forward to seeing that. Keep the updates coming!

BTW, Love the boltwork, could happily sit with a beer and stare at that for ages.

The weight of this thing is nearly 3000lbs. Before I could do any work on it I had to buy some special "roll a lifts" to be able to maneuver it around the workshop. Then transportation requires special equipment too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diebold time_resized.jpg  

Jerzy, since you are going all out on that Diebold, you might consider changing the finials to this style. Most of the chests have the simple finials like yours, but a few I've seen have these unusual but much nicer ones. They may have been made for only a short time, I don't for sure. They surely dress up the safe big time. I have a sample one if you are interested. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1072.jpg   IMG_0001.jpg   IMG_0012.jpg   IMG_2391.JPG  

I am indeed interested, but I have already committed to re plating the originals. Do you replicate these, or do you have access to some originals?

Default progress

Lettering and shadowing to go, but progress so far. Very talented artist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015.jpeg  

Default Some more pictures

Nearly finished. Just the top vault door hinges need work. Thought some of you would like these pictures. When cleaning and reassembling all the moving parts, I was constantly amazed by the level of detail and craftsmanship even in areas that would never be seen. Certainly beats modern mass production.
    I have not yet re-nickle plated the shinny parts, but may do in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160809_134313_resized.jpg   20160809_134331_resized.jpg   20160809_134522_resized.jpg   20160809_134532_resized.jpg   20160809_134540_resized.jpg  

Default Restoration of a Diebold Banker's safe style "E"

Nice job after doing all that work. Just wish I has money to buy some old safe but don't have any place to put these safe. Now it look like that safe going to cost more money of what you pay before that..Timothy..

Default Finally Finished

I hope that the value of the safe has gone up to equal the effort put in. This was a labor of love however. Now the safe sits as a piece of artwork, although still useful, in a prominent part of my living room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160812_093452_1471025747579_resized.jpg  

Beautiful work! I have to ask, what kinds of things did you have to do for moving and parking a 3000 pound safe in a living room? I would think that kind of weight could ruin flooring materials, or cause some settling or sagging in framing.

Thread Information