Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Opening a locked Vault

Im a development project manager. We have a 1930s Vault in our building. It's in NYC - lower Manhattan. It's been locked for 30 years. Would anyone on this website have a referral for some one who could come to the site and provide a quote to open it? Door is 7' high by 4' wide. Looking for a proffesional who has opened vaults beforel. We dont want to remove it - just open it and remove ability to lock it. My thought is that going through the adjacent wall would be cheaper.

I don't know anyone to recommend but one approach is the Safe & Vault Technician's Association (http://www.savta.org). Their web site includes a search function, http://www.savta.org/savta_tech.php which comes up with several possibilities.

Default Vault door opening.

With a picture of the door I can provide you my fee to open the door without damage. There are many types of vault construction and vault doors so I could not even begin to speculate. A full frontal view of the door and frame, and a clear close up of the dial/s will be sufficient.

It's not always less expensive or easier to core the wall as opposed to drill the door. This link will take you to a discussion about the difference between coring the wall or drilling the door. http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ht=coring+wall

If it's a bank vault and future use of the vault maybe needed, in my opinion drilling the door will better preserve the value a vault brings to the building. There is also the possibility to open the door without coring the wall or drilling the door.

DH

See attached - there is some kind of electronic box to the right not sure if this is an alarm or an electronic opener upgrade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG  

That's a rather nice door. Are the shaped handles wooden?

The electronics boxes are an alarm system, possibly for the whole building as well as the vault.

Handles are metal. I don't think going through the door is the easy option. It's like me fighting an elephant.

If we core through a wall and get inside can you easily open it from the inside? There are 20 other vaults similar to this one that are already open - the backs just look like clocks to me - do vaults typically have an easy way to let someone out - maybe this one is like the other ones - could you guys tell if there was a way to open the other ones from the inside if I posted pictures?

My facade contractor has the manpower - but doesn't know what equipment to use to core through the wall. There is likely to be hardened rebar in the concrete of the wall. Anyone done this before - have advice?

You have 20 other vault doors in the building? Wow!

What was it used for?

Please do post some pictures of the insides of the others.

Here is how to get into your vault, with a proven method that even your Grandpa could manage!
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ghlight=Hatton

I see there are four locks. To me this suggests that manipulation might be a difficult option as you'd have to be successful with two of them, not just one? And does this mean that drilling would be required on two as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalexander View Post
    do vaults typically have an easy way to let someone out - maybe this one is like the other ones - could you guys tell if there was a way to open the other ones from the inside if I posted pictures?
    Pictures would help but in general no, I don't believe there is or was an easy way to get out of a locked vault. The only general exception I know of is relatively modern fire-resistive doors that would not be used for money or other high-value items.

Have the combinations of some of the open doors been tried on this one ? Also it may be a silly question - are you sure it's locked ? It could just be closed and 'stuck' some basic checks and examination by a skilled tech could resolve this quite easily.

Thread Information