Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default An Australian "Ajax Safe Company" safe.

Hi everyone, a friend in Queensland has this Ajax Safe Company safe that he uses in case of fire...
    He's wondering whether anyone would have any information on the year of manufacture?
    cheers, Mickthepick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Default Ajax safe co.

I have recently inherited one of these safes as well. I don't have a date but the phone number on the inside of the door is consistent with those from the 1950 in Sydney https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former...dialling_codes
    It's a safe made by the Ajax Safe Co. 58 - 60 Alma St Darlington (which is now the middle of a soccer field) Ph. MX2964 and it's fire resisting.

The outside dimensions are 760h * 560w * 560d. The walls are 80mm thick. The plate on the door is about 9.5mm thick with fire proofing behind that.
    The outer skin is quite thin and has rust holes. I believe it is filled with gypsum.
    I don't know how thick the actual plate is within the fire proofing.
    I want to renovate this safe and am trying to find actual construction details.

Welcome aboard Rahtruder, can you post up some pictures of your safe including the inner label, as it will be more conclusive with the link you posted for anyone referencing these Ajax firesafes in the future.
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-to-your-posts

I'll post some pics soon. I found this article at
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ar...ew+South+Wales
    The
    AJaxSafeCo. of 58 and 60 Alma Street, Darlington, Sydney, was established in 1890. The objects of the company were to manufacture, in Australia fire, fall and thief resisting safes,strong iron doors and grilles equal to anything imported. How well they have succeeded is amply proved by the testimonials received from users and the constant demand from private firms and government departments.

The construction of the safes is on the best lines. The body has bent corners, made out of the best, steel plates, and the fire chambers are filled with the purest steam-generating composition. The locks are six lever, unpickable, explosive-proof, and are equipped with duplicate keys.

After the big fire in 'the George-st. North post office in 1909 the Deputy P.M.G. reported that the Ajax safe in stalled protected its contents during the fire. This safe was in the burning debris for a week and had a fall of 50 feet. In 1907 a fire destroyed the premises of Messrs. Keefer Bros.,Pittworth, Queensland. Tho heat was so intense within a few feet of where the Ajax safe was standing that cast iron pipes were melted and cases of wire nails were run into a solid mass.

Tho safe contained the firm's books and valuables, besides a number of loose cheques and notes. When the the safe. was opened the contents were found to be in perfect order and absolutely unharmed. Many other similar cases of efficacy of the Ajax .safescould be quoted.

Two thousand Ajax safes have been supplied to tho Federal and State Governments, the G.P.O., and the N.S. Wales Railways; 150 Ajax safes have been supplied to Shires and Municipalities; 50 strong-room doors are in- use at Post Offices. The Treasury strong room at Canberra, the Federal Capital, are fitted with Ajax doors. Ajax safes and strong-room doors arc In use at tho A.M.P. Society; the Commercial Bank; the London, Liverpool and Globe Insurance, Pitt Street; Ellis Davis, Esq., George-st., Government Savings Bank, N.S.W.; New Central Railway Station, Tasmanian Government, Queensland Government, Victorian Government, Papuan Government, Insurance Office of - Australia, Water Conservation Board, Water and Sewerage' Board, Government Printing Office, Victoria Barracks, Paymaster's Office, Intelligence Department, Master in Lunacy, The Treasury, Admiralty House, Government Ferry, Sylvannia; New Police Barracks, Redfern; Caretaker, Yarrangabilly Caves; Crown Solicitor's Office, Children's Court, Police Station, Darlinghurst; Help

Registrar-General's Office, Common wealth Electoral Office, Government Hospice, Thredbo River; District Work Office, Narrandara; Burren Jack Works, Goondali ; Houses of Parliament, Sydney; Crown Lands Office, Cessnock; Imperial Pensions Office, Police Court, Kurri Kurri. The largest safe made in Australia (2 1/2 tons) was supplied to the G.P.O. Parcels Department. Tlie largest strong room door made in Australia is in use by Ellis Davis, Esq., jeweller, George-st.

[COLOR=#000000 !important]Help
    [/COLOR]
    It is claimed by the makers that Ajax safes are twenty-five per cent, Fix this text

cheaper and better than the imported.

Particulars, price, sizes, etc., will be supplied on application. Telephone, Redfern 267.

Thread Information