Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You can try Webster Safe & Lock, 3020 Millbranch Rd, Memphis. 130 years in the business. Click here for a map. They were bought by Redhawk, a bank service company about 10 or 15 years ago, but I think they still do general safe work. Their number should still be (901) 332-2911.
    Last edited by Grayhair; 31-03-16 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks Peerless and Grayhair.
    I tried the combination about 100 times as Peerless described, and then I'd take the wheels out and check and they'd be off. I thought it needed to be inverted (CW where you'd said CCW and so on) and I tried that about 100 times. It seemed to get me to the same spot on the wheels.
    Then I monkeyed with it by moving my index number a few digits either way on all 3 numbers. It never would line up completely.
    Finally I found that there was slop in the dial key part. A little Loc-Tite got that right, and now it dials in like magic!
    It was a fun project, but I have no need of a big safe and a buddy of mine is crazy for it. I painted the outside with polyurethane to preserve the logos on the front as well as the rust and scratches all over it. He's going to put it in his living room as a cool end table. And pay me the $200 I paid for it, as well as a bottle of moonshine that he makes.

So, thanks for the information and walking me through this! It was a funny project for the week.

Default Pick up where he left off

I'm the guy that ended up with this project and its nearing completion. I did call and talk to people at John Baumann and they were happy to see pictures of it but had no further info to express other than it wasn't made by them, (he said it was a Halls or similar brand) and of course 1870 ish due to the hand painted on logo. My own research has not found another like it... with the hinge side of the door fitting into a lip, and rather thin wheels for its size. The name across the top was a business in St Charles (St Louis area) that no longer exists and historical information of this level is just not around ... at least not online.

Still looking for a proper flat key lock for the inside door.... and smaller one for a safe deposit box door ill have to make. These locks are not easy to find.
    I have refinished the inside wood, new felts and carpet bottom, nice shinny inside and out.... Por-15 makes an excellent product. I had the stripes pained by hand and it looks perfect. (name stenciled on too)

At the end of the day I have a nice piece of old equipment that I'm proud to look at and have in my house. Thanks guys for all the great info. The lock works fine and it should be around another 100 years.

Great to hear that it found a good home, against all the odds!

We'd love to see some pictures of it now.

Thread Information