Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Possibly a BURNSIDE safe ... help with research needed pls

Firstly I'd like to apologise for my lateness in replying. I really do appreciate all the information you guys have given me, Russell Stoner, Safeman, Oldlock, Tom Gordon and Newbee a big thank you!

The scans you have provided Newbee are absolutely brilliant and it's great to see them. There is no way I would have got to see these normally. As Oldlock said if you don't have a problem with making this available it would be such a valuable resource in scanned form (obviously I would understand if you chose not to). Also I'm interested in knowing if the catalogue is your own or if it available to buy at all? I would love an enlarged copy. Thanks.

Default Re: Possibly a BURNSIDE safe ... help with research needed pls

Russell Stoner, to answer your question... there was a paper badge on the inside of the door. Although I can't remember what it looked like exactly. The interior was Beige/Cream colour.Thanks.

Default Burnside safe

Hi, I've actually got one in a customers' new house. Pristine condition but locked and no keys. Would like to know the drilling points in order to be able to preserve the safe as it fits in with the decor of my customers' room. (It has been built into a lovely wall cabinet). He has asked that if the safe stays he would like to be able to re-use it. Can anyone help with the points and a suitable replacement lock type?

Quote Originally Posted by RONALDO View Post
    Would like to know the drilling points in order to be able to preserve the safe as it fits in with the decor of my customers' room. (It has been built into a lovely wall cabinet). Can anyone help with the points and a suitable replacement lock type?
    Firstly I would point out that antique-locks.com is not a locksmithing site although it is mainly run by locksmiths. We would not wish to discuss on an open forum such as this, things like drill points. There are a number of locksmithing sites, but they are normally going to have the same viewpoint.
    What your customer is requsting though is not to have it damaged, for instance by drilling it open. They should get a locksmith to come and pick it open and then make keys to the existing lock - non destructively.
    Regards
    Tom

Default Burnside Safe

Thanks for the answer Tom.
    I only registered and posted on this site as it was the only place on the web that acknowledged the existance of such a safe. When I saw the safe I thought it was new as it has been so well looked after. I'm more of a bench/workshop locksmith and have contacted all of the local companies, none of which had even heard of a Burnside. I have received a private message from someone which sounds like it will be very useful and I will follow up. I didn't really expect drilling points to be discussed out on a forum but the response I have had warrants me asking the question.
    Thanks very much.
    RONALDO

Technical aspects of this thread now discussed inside COLTi.

Apply to join us if you are a safe tech / locksmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post
    Seen the images of your Burnside safe.

Yours, judging by its hinges is an 1882-1898 model. Burnside, like many of the safe makers of their day were into munitions. Whenever a war was ended they turned their hand to safes. The safe, from what I can make out was a generic pattern of the day. If you ever see an early Bent Steel safe, this was their pattern. Generally painted in 'Olivine green & black with white or yellow coach lines. Does your have a lime interior with Burnside laquered paper badge on the door? Burnside, (I may be able to confirm) merged with Bent.
    It's escutcheon/lock looks like an 'invoilable'. One of the most common of the day. Burnside & many others of the day used to use the 'Coddrington' lock aslo.

Bent, in their day were one of the larger manufacturers to whom many safe suppliers, like Richardsons & our Company, 'Withy Grove' used to buy & rebrand, having brass nameplates forged by Bent. If you have an ABIS listing, many of our safes were indeed 'Bent's'.

Hope this helps a little.
    Cheers
    Russell
    This may confuse someone then! "The Bent Steel Safe co. For sale on eBay as we speak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $_2.jpeg  

Default The Bent steel safe company

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    This may confuse someone then! "The Bent Steel Safe co. For sale on eBay as we speak
    Just in case anyone would like a look at a more detailed picture it's item number 121472681714

Thread Information