Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale standard time combination pad lock

Hello, I picked up a Yale standard time combination pad lock recently and haven't had any luck getting it open. The lock is in very good condition and everything moves freely. It has the number 2139 stamped on the back if that helps. I've seen that these locks may have a combination that is a L-R-L sequence. Also any information on the production run dates for these locks.
    Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Jpo View Post
    Hello, I picked up a Yale standard time combination pad lock recently and haven't had any luck getting it open. The lock is in very good condition and everything moves freely. It has the number 2139 stamped on the back if that helps. I've seen that these locks may have a combination that is a L-R-L sequence. Also any information on the production run dates for these locks.
    Thanks for your help
    How about showing everyone a picture. I may have instructions for this padlock, if it's a Miller clone.

Default Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    How about showing everyone a picture. I may have instructions for this padlock, if it's a Miller clone.
    Here's a couple of photos.
    Thanks for your response.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Default Yale standard time combination pad lock

First time I have see that padlock. Not sure but most combination padlock that has number stamp on back sometime it code number for combination number. Just maybe someone on this forum may check into it...Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    First time I have see that padlock. Not sure but most combination padlock that has number stamp on back sometime it code number for combination number. Just maybe someone on this forum may check into it...Timothy.....
    Try this from old Reed Padlock Code Book, for Miller, Yale & Yale Jr. Standard Time; to unlock by sight:
    1. Hold the lock in the left hand and turn the knob TWO or more complete turns to the LEFT to 9.
    2. Then turn RIGHT one full turn past the above number stopping at 4.
    3. Now turn LEFT to 11.
    4. Then again turn to the RIGHT as far as it will go and pull out on the shackle.
    5. To lock, push the shackle all the way in and turn knob one or more complete turns to the LEFT.

Pete Schifferli

Default No Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Try this from old Reed Padlock Code Book, for Miller, Yale & Yale Jr. Standard Time; to unlock by sight:
    1. Hold the lock in the left hand and turn the knob TWO or more complete turns to the LEFT to 9.
    2. Then turn RIGHT one full turn past the above number stopping at 4.
    3. Now turn LEFT to 11.
    4. Then again turn to the RIGHT as far as it will go and pull out on the shackle.
    5. To lock, push the shackle all the way in and turn knob one or more complete turns to the LEFT.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks Pete. I tried it several times and no luck. I can definitely feel the parts moving inside so I'm fairly sure the lock is in working order. Plus I think you can tell by the photos that there isn't any rust or damage on the case. I will try some variations of the combination you sent and see if I have any luck.
    Thanks again

Try spraying the lock with some silicone lube. That's what I had to do to get mine to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpo View Post
    Thanks Pete. I tried it several times and no luck. I can definitely feel the parts moving inside so I'm fairly sure the lock is in working order. Plus I think you can tell by the photos that there isn't any rust or damage on the case. I will try some variations of the combination you sent and see if I have any luck.
    Thanks again
    Reed also has a method to unlock by clicks:
    1. Turn LEFT two or more complete turns, stopping with knob-pointer at the top on the round spot at 12.
    2. Continue LEFT 9 clicks.
    3. RIGHT 4 clicks.
    4. LEFT 11 clicks.
    5. RIGHT hard to open.

Really the same as unlock by sight, but maybe this will work?

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information