Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Hi

Does anyone have a copy of the photos with a link that works? Also does anyone have any pictures of his board. Would have loved to have spent a day with him and his collection from what I have seen it’s something else and a shame it didn’t make it to a museum. Thanks Simon

Default Peter Phillips

There is an article entitled "Locks and Keys" that appeared in Bygones 5 ​(1980) that was published by The Boydell Press. Pages 81 -105. Illustrated.

Brilliant thanks I’ve managed to order a copy. Don’t suppose he was featured in the programme on TV was he and if so which one?

Thanks again

Thumbs up

So I am now the proud owner of Bygones 5 and the Sotheby’s auction guide. The auction guide is great and has great quality pictures of the key and includes introduction with his boards as well as a picture of the man himself. The Bygones 5 book is a piece written by Peter Phillips about keys and locks with references to some nice lock and key photos albeit in black and white.

Questions: what happened to the keys that weren’t sold at auction? I’ve counted quite a few that were shown in boards but not included in the Sotheby’s auction catalogue? Also what happened to the boards as I would have bought them they are a great display boxes. My collection is currently in file trays with clear Perspex lids (so similar but not as grand).

Highly recommend both books for different reasons.

Some stuff was sold privately on the run up to the auction.

Thread Information