My understanding is that Peter Phillips was an engineer and in his middle age became a lock restorer. He was obviously a perfectionist. I saw his display at an antiques fair at Kimbolton. I was most impressed when I saw his display, even the boards were a work of art. He did not sell anything - simply displayed his boards. I enthusiastically introduced myself - "...I run a locksmiths business" said I... "oh yeah...right..." said he and turned away. I think the term 'old codger' was coined specially for him.

I had the privilage to buy a couple of his boards of keys - the rubbish ones no one else wanted! Plus a couple of other things.

The very sad thing is this collection could have been donated to a museum and his name would have lived on for ever. Sadly he left it too late and I suspect was poorly advised - or would not take advice. The stuff was distributed far and wide. One lock was sold for £25,000 plus 17.5% commission. Some single keys went for £6,000 each. It was a fabulous jaw dropping day - never to be forgotten.

Don't know if anyone else on the forum can shed any light on the man, the sale or the contents. I suggest it would be an interesting thread all of it's own. Maybe thats what we have here?