Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Tear Gas?

Default Tear Gas?

My brother in law has an older double door Herring file safe out in his garage that he's had for several years. Today I was out looking at it to see if I could get the combo reset for him. I noticed it had an aluminum box aprox.10 in long x1 1/4 wide x1 1/2 deep with a glass vial aprox 7 in long inside, mounted directly behind the wheel pack. Whats in the vial ? It's 3/4 full of a clear liquid that dosn't freeze. Is it tear gas? I removed it from the safe as he only wants to use the safe for fire protection and not security. Any one have any ideas? thanks, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Re: Tear Gas?

Very likely to be Tear Gas. And it's a real problem to dispose of if you obey the letter of the law it will cost you a small fortune (or so I have heard) due to the hazardous chemicals used in it.

Alternately take someone remote in the open, break and drive away fast :lol:

Default Re: Tear Gas?

Quite possible, but odds are it will have long since degraded into rather nastier stuff!

As the gaffer says, take it someplace remote and get shot of it. You don't want it in the house!

Glad all we have to deal with is timers and relockers these days. I'd rather spend a few hours drilling a carbide slab than get a face full of teargas on a job.

Thread Information