Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Trying to identify this lock with crown

I fell in love with this lock at a flea market. I've had it for a year and have been unable to locate any information on it or any other locks that look at all similar. Could anyone point me in some direction or have an idea as to what type of lock this could be.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160305_140831.jpg   20160305_140858.jpg  

It is a wrought iron lever lock, commonly referred to as 'smokie' by some of the collectors. Try a search for 'smoke house padlock" and you should get some hits. I believe these were made from the mid to late 1800's and into the early 1900's. Many of the lock companies took turns at making these in the US and abroad. With the crown motif of the keyhole plate, I would guess yours to be English made and date more towards the later end of production. There are a lot of unmarked smokies out there and unfortunately, finding out the actual maker may or may not ever happen.

Thread Information