Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Drop in point for my old Diebold Safe

Hi, I had opened this safe many years ago and have not used it for so long I lost all my info. So I was able to read the wheels It has three combination wheels and the drive wheel. It is in such a tight spot it is tough to keep dialing it to find the correct drop in. So maybe a little guidance might help me out. I drilled it open upward at the 6:00 position, easily read the 4 gates but now just need the drop in. I hope the couple of pictures might help.

The safe is 20"W x 20"D x 30"H and painted an ugly green/yellow. Inside has a locking door and inside that are 2 locking draws a couple open shelves on the left and the right 2/3s is just open. Interior is in fairly good shape. I have all the keys.

Thanks in advance - Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe Dial (2).jpg   Safe Dial (1).jpg  

Default Diebold K lock

This series Diebold light wall records safe, sports the K & M locks. Both locks drop in at # 44.

Keep in mind this is a dog-in type lock. The dial does not come to a stop on your last number. The most common drive wheel gate location was 100.

DH

Hi Dave, and anyone else that viewed this. I had some unexpected eye surgery on the 7th and now just getting back to see somewhat. All is well and getting better. Tough to see the dial numbers so maybe a week or so can get back to dialing it back in.

The drive wheel is the rear most and I have read the three wheel and the drive wheel to line up at the 50 mark. So should I dial the three opening numbers to 44 and the drive wheel to 100? or as a dog in type should all the gates be dialed in all at the drop in point. It has been so long since I used the combo I don't even remember the sequence but figure no matter if I can line all the gates up it should open finding the right drop in.

Terry

Thanks for the help given here. Yes #44 was it I was close on the numbers so took 3 tries. The lock was ID'd as maybe a K or M series so a search here got me what I needed.

I had some 35mm prints of the lock but packed somewhere unknown, I'll now get some digital pictures on file.

Thanks again

Terry

Thread Information