Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help with info of this early wood and metal deadbolt

Hi all, I have this old deadbolt type lock that I could use some help dating and/or identifying. I've had it for close to forty years and is from the Hudson Valley area of New York. It is about 6" x 3 3/4 x 1" and the bolt is 1 3/4 x 1/2".

Thanks in advance - Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood Box Lock (8).jpg   Wood Box Lock (9).jpg   Wood Box Lock (10).jpg  

While it could have been imported, it is also just as likely to have been made here. Since it has a number on it, I doubt it was made in a one man shop. At the latest early 1800's, more probably in the 1700's. There were some blacksmith shops involved in lockmaking and these would have been located along the eastern seaboard in large cities like New York and Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by hd54kh View Post
    Hi all, I have this old deadbolt type lock that I could use some help dating and/or identifying. I've had it for close to forty years and is from the Hudson Valley area of New York. It is about 6" x 3 3/4 x 1" and the bolt is 1 3/4 x 1/2".

Thanks in advance - Terry
    Search here for Banbury Lock and Stock Lock. These locks have been discussed many times in the past.
    BBE.

Thanks guys, sorry for the absence, unexpected eye issue and still on the mends, all is getting better. When I collected most of my locks I was working as a locksmith in the Kingston N.Y. area which was a colony from the early 1600s. I have this lock and another couple of very oldies. Also have two Wilders safes one with a large bit key which I don't have but is open, and the other a flat key that I push in and rotate the knob first CCW and than CW to open.

Thanks BBE for the heads up, I'll do some homework on these.

Talk to you all soon.

Terry

Default Stock lock

It's a [plate] stock lock (as distinct from the Banbury stock lock which has no metal backplate). They were commercially made in Willenhall 18-20C. Most locksmiths were small businesses in a shop behind the house, employing 1-2 men and 1-2 boys; there were over 200 in Willenhall and one such workshop (a nailmaker's) still exists.

Your lock appears of good quality - the bulleted extra plate on the keyhole. And earlier, probably 18C; later, the wedge-shaped backplate became parrallel-sided, then the end became rounded. However, the wood stock looks likely to be a later replacement, which is not unknown.
    Such locks were also made by local blacksmiths, but many were exported to the Colonies. Any cheap offcuts of wood could also be used - even scraps of expensive mahogony; but oak and elm were more usual. Later ones used softwoods.

Thanks for the input chubbbramah, not sure if the wood is replacement or not. It has a 181 stamped below the bolt which would seem to be a part/model/sequence number maybe? The wood seems to be a soft wood with very tight grain to it. I looked at it with a magnifying lens and the saw cuts are angular as opposed to arched as in a circular cutter. At one time it had some form of keyway escutcheon plate on the wood surface as there are very small nail holes at 12,3,6 & 9 oclock positions.

Terry

Thread Information