Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yale Padlock

i agree with you ,Pete. i just like the older yale's

Default The 850 is a bear to rekey

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I believe the Yale 850 padlock is still made today but has a usury list price of $105.08 each. Unfortunately Yale has not kept up with contemporary padlock technology and there are much better, more secure products on the market at competitive prices. As a locksmith, I recommend the excellent Abus 83/50 S2 as a replacement for the Yale 850, both have a 2" wide brass body and 3/8" diameter shackle. Some of the advanced features of the Abus are:
    • double ball locking
    • chrome plated solid brass lock body
    • easily replaceable shackle
    • convertible from key-retaining to non key-retaining
    • rekeyable cylinder
    • accepts "door hardware" cylinders
    • available weather-proof cap
    • MSRP $42.50

My two cents.

Pete Schifferli
    The Yale 850 (and others in the series, 840, 870, etc) is certainly not an easy lock to work on...

The old ones have either serrated pins or mushroom drivers, and can be very difficult to open without the key, especially ones with the Yale 8 keyway.
    Once open, you have to drive out the pins holding the guts inside the lock.
    Then you have to drill and pull the pin holding the plug in place, and make sure the cylinder doesn't turn back before you get it out. Also the notch for the retaining pin in the plug can trap a driver and lock the plug in the case--it can only be fixed by drilling out that chamber from the top. Too many things to mess with and too many ways it can go wrong just to rekey it.

I have one of these that has been a project waiting to be rekeyed for many months--I was able to open it, removed the retaining pins, and while taking it apart the cylinder relocked. It has mushroom drivers and as of yet I haven't been able to pick it again. Certainly not a lock one wants to work on when time=money.

Thread Information