Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The ACME / Wilsons patent are certainly rarer IMHO. But they are quite simple internally. I have a dual control grille gate lock somewhere - it's waiting for me to retire to make the blanks and then cut the keys for it.

Oldlock which ones are the ACME-Wilson's, are those the lever locks with the 'v' configured double bitted key, or the padlock type with machined half round flat one side and the turned steps/grooves?

Tbh I've never been that clear which is which with those two, thought I'd seen Wilson mentioned with both.
    On safeman's first image the lever version with the 'v' bitted key is just named Cotterill's Acme Patent Double-Locking, so I'll make a guess the other used on the padlocks is the Wilson-Acme? Looks like it's the other way around to what I thought! Easily confused me :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Bit of everything really, most were removed from heavily used safes as a result of lock conversions where we'd convert over to a modern 7-Lever lock with an anti-drill plate- so they were already at an advanced stage of chewing themselves to bits- hence the poor internal condition of many. Some were from the 1950's firm my father worked for doing the very same work before me, customers would bring them in for keys and then never collect them when the knew how much. Some were just swapped/traded for other locks as i knew I could always sort them out.

Although I have a few by the well known named makers most of them have been the generic un-named climax copies. Typically marked just 'Climax Detector Patent' or similar, they lack any makers name having only matching letters or numbers on the component parts to identify batches. Those are definitely the commonest versions that most will encounter.

Although theyve all held a certain charm that's appealed to me, it is of course the really heavy Cotterill Bankers versions that are the real gems. Despite having dozens of these Ive Never seen a powder proof bankers version or encountered a padlock either, but I know oldlock has mentioned and posted about the bankers versions on here some time ago. As for the padlocks I sure wish I had a few full boxes of NOS...
    when you talk about the large bankers versions will this key be for one of them? If your memory is as bad as mine you won't remember Huw but you made the caps for these three keys. I've had quite a few Cotterill keys off eBay and I normally upgrade to better condition ones and sell the others back on the bay. I've only ever came across this one and it is somewhat larger than the norm. Usually they measure round about 70mm to 80mm but the larger one is 105mm with the bow being 35mm wide. It's always made me wonder if it's just an average size or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0979.JPG   IMG_0978.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Oldlock which ones are the ACME-Wilson's, are those the lever locks with the 'v' configured double bitted key, or the padlock type with machined half round flat one side and the turned steps/grooves?

Tbh I've never been that clear which is which with those two, thought I'd seen Wilson mentioned with both.
    On safeman's first image the lever version with the 'v' bitted key is just named Cotterill's Acme Patent Double-Locking, so I'll make a guess the other used on the padlocks is the Wilson-Acme? Looks like it's the other way around to what I thought! Easily confused me :-(

Don't know if these uncaptioned photographs will help or not ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120627095942_01.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	639.7 KB 
ID:	16892 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120627095942_02.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	388.2 KB 
ID:	16893

Safeman cheers for posting those, yes, the first one confirms they used that design with the turned steps/grooves on half-round keys for safe locks as well as the padlocks.

The second Looks identical to the lock that i brazed-up the 'v' shaped key blanks for, quite a basic open cased safe lock, which still remains the only one I ever encountered.

Still got questions regarding the use of the Wilson's Patent name though, as my lock, which is the typical bog standard Cotterill radial slider type, strangely has the Wilson's marking which, still doesn't make any sense tbh.

Warren, yes i remember making those brass caps for your keys, and remember thinking the large one in particular was an exceptionally nice key. It would certainly figure if it was for one of the larger powder-proof bankers locks, as most of the safe locks encountered do have the much smaller sizes you mentioned, but have to say I do not know for certain.

Thread Information