Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key wanted

Default Key wanted

Hi, I am new to this forum and to be honest i am only looking for a key for my 1929 Austin16 car door lock.
    The lock is an H&TV and has LL84 stamped on it. Can anyone help me with a key?

Quote Originally Posted by lesharvey View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum and to be honest i am only looking for a key for my 1929 Austin16 car door lock.
    The lock is an H&TV and has LL84 stamped on it. Can anyone help me with a key?
    Do you have a picture? We love pictures!

Also a warm welcome to the forum.

Anything like this ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails instacode.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Anything like this ?
    Unlikely, I don't think Yale wafer locks appeared in the marketplace until after WW2.

Pete Schifferli

Default LL84 key

Anything like this ?
    HI, unfortunatly i do not have the original (I foolishly only had one) as i have lost it.
    you quote LL084 would this be the same as LL84 as stamped on the door lock of my car? if it is can you cut me a copy?
    thanks for your help
    Les

Default LL84 key

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Unlikely, I don't think Yale wafer locks appeared in the marketplace until after WW2.

Pete Schifferli
    Hi, the lock was made by H & T Vaughn who were bought out by Yale.
    The lock is the original equipment as fitted to the Austin 16 of 1929

Pete Schifferli
    Yale took over HTV and as such may have used the same code series.

Who said it's a wafer ? Yale had many small pin tumbler locks.

Quote Originally Posted by lesharvey View Post
    HI, unfortunatly i do not have the original (I foolishly only had one) as i have lost it.
    you quote LL084 would this be the same as LL84 as stamped on the door lock of my car? if it is can you cut me a copy?
    thanks for your help
    Les
    Not sure if it's the same. I can't help you with a key given my location. However it would be well worth a visit to your local master locksmith (not a key cutter like timpsons etc - a real locksmith is what you need).

Yale took over HTV and as such may have used the same code series.
    Who said it's a wafer ? Yale had many small pin tumbler locks.
    You implied it was a wafer lock by attaching the InstaCode thumbnail of Yale LL084. This code was used on office furniture etc. on this side of the pond using the Y-12 blank. My point was that wafer tumbler locks weren't in use as early as 1929. Yale did indeed make many small pin tumbler locks but it is most unlikely they would have used the same code series. Yale was an OEM supplier to Chrysler in later years and did furnish many pin and wafer tumbler locks for automotive applications. Yale also provided pin tumbler locks for vintage autos including Chrysler, Packard, Pierce-Arrow, Rolls-Royce and Bentley. I know nothing of H & T Vaughan, but Yale acquired numerous other lock manufacturers back in the day.

Pete Schifferli

Default Key LL84

Hi, sorry but i have no idea what a wafer is? All i'm know is the lock has H&TV LL84 on the outside

You implied it was a wafer lock by attaching the InstaCode thumbnail of Yale LL084. This code was used on office furniture etc. on this side of the pond using the Y-12 blank. My point was that wafer tumbler locks weren't in use as early as 1929. Yale did indeed make many small pin tumbler locks but it is most unlikely they would have used the same code series. Yale was an OEM supplier to Chrysler in later years and did furnish many pin and wafer tumbler locks for automotive applications. Yale also provided pin tumbler locks for vintage autos including Chrysler, Packard, Pierce-Arrow, Rolls-Royce and Bentley. I know nothing of H & T Vaughan, but Yale acquired numerous other lock manufacturers back in the day.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information