Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockout Tagout

Back to 1916 already... And not too surprising to see it in connection with railway safety, the railways have always been safety innovators.

Should we offer a prize for the first person to find a reference to one made at St Paul's Chuchyard ?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A US Patent search was fruitful in pushing back the time frame. Looking at 8,353,182 (filed 2011) there are several older patents listed. Among them is 1,197,020 (1916) and 2,560,624 (filed 1948, issued 1951). See the 2011 patent for references to more older patents.

Attachment 15136Attachment 15137

Quote Originally Posted by Parautoptic View Post
    Back to 1916 already... And not too surprising to see it in connection with railway safety, the railways have always been safety innovators.

Should we offer a prize for the first person to find a reference to one made at St Paul's Chuchyard ?

Phil
    Chubb did indeed invent the idea of the safety chain emergency brake on railway trains. However, Kaye of Leeds was the principal maker of railway locks. My guess is this safety lockout originated in electrical engineering industry.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A Google Books search for "safety lockout" (without the quotes) came up with an example from 1966 . . .
    I remember them from when I was starting in the business in the 1960s.

Default Western Electric also used them

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhair View Post
    I remember them from when I was starting in the business in the 1960s.
    Western Electric was using Best padlocks with red "Safety First" logos back in the 60's or 70's.

I'm told that it was common in British coalmines in 18-19C (they were all privately owned and independent then) to use triangular padlocks for safety purposes. The distinctive shape could be easily felt in darkness, and understood by illiterate workers. The triangular padlcok body was not uncommon, though that does not definitely prove anything..

Thread Information