Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockout Tagout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lockout Tagout

I am trying to find more information on the history of Lockout Tagout.

I am looking for information about how and when it became a "habit" to use padlocks to keep people safe from the unexpected release of hazardous energies in industrial areas.

I have read somewhere that Lockout Tagout origins from the American war industry in World War 2. I have tried to find some pictures or writings on this, but I have not found anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    I am trying to find more information on the history of Lockout Tagout.
    I am looking for information about how and when it became a "habit" to use padlocks to keep people safe from the unexpected release of hazardous energies in industrial areas.
    I have read somewhere that Lockout Tagout origins from the American war industry in World War 2. I have tried to find some pictures or writings on this, but I have not found anything.
    In 1989 The US Dept. of Labor Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) adopted Rule 1910.147 (29 CFR 1910.147 - see link) which requires all machinery and equipment to be locked and/or tagged in the "off" or "neutral" position during service or maintenance operations. OSHA's "Lockout/Tagout" rule applies to general industry and is intended to reduce serious injuries and fatalities that may occur due to the accidental start-up by others of machinery and equipment.
    https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ARDS&p_id=9804

Pete Schifferli

I see a lockout product in a 1985 Master Lock catalog. Not much help, but it's another data point.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I see a lockout product in a 1985 Master Lock catalog. Not much help, but it's another data point.
    There is a brief article, "Safety Lockout/Tagout Products" in The National Locksmith®, January 2016. The president of a locksmith company is quoted therein as saying, we first began offering padlocks for Safety Lockout in the mid-2000s. The article also states that the business first opened in 1971!

Pete Schifferli

Arno it might be worth tracing back brochures and catalogues from German manufacturers like Abus and especially Burg Wachter, as they produced incredibly diverse padlock ranges for this sort of purpose with colour coding, tags, and extended shackles etc.

I can remember seeing padlocks on lock-out switches on site plant and machinery in the early to mid 1980s so they were definitely in use back then.

I do not remember when colored "lockout" padlocks came about but we had "multi hasps" in the 80's.

Seton were selling lockout tags and multi padlock hasps in 1985. That was the first time I had noticed that sort of thing.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Arno it might be worth tracing back brochures and catalogues from German manufacturers like Abus and especially Burg Wachter, as they produced incredibly diverse padlock ranges for this sort of purpose with colour coding, tags, and extended shackles etc.

I can remember seeing padlocks on lock-out switches on site plant and machinery in the early to mid 1980s so they were definitely in use back then.

And it was American that came out with the first colored padlocks, in aluminum.

A Google Books search for "safety lockout" (without the quotes) came up with an example from 1966, https://books.google.com/books?id=-H...4ACGsQ6AEIYTAI though Google Books does not make the entire publication available for view.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A Google Books search for "safety lockout" (without the quotes) came up with an example from 1966 . . .
    I remember them from when I was starting in the business in the 1960s.

Thread Information