Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Help Identify Please

Hello, this lock was given to me because I like old keys? (Now that I've found this site however, I think I like old locks too.)
    I was hoping someone knows how old this is and an approximation of value.

Im sorry but I am going to ask stupid questions, commit noob faux pas, and generally bumble about annoying everyone.
    I'm working on it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG3324_1.jpg   IMAG3317_1_1.jpg   IMAG3312.jpg   IMAG3325_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CHAINSnCHERRIES View Post
    Hello, this lock was given to me because I like old keys? (Now that I've found this site however, I think I like old locks too.)
    I was hoping someone knows how old this is and an approximation of value.
    Im sorry but I am going to ask stupid questions, commit noob faux pas, and generally bumble about annoying everyone.
    I'm working on it....
    USPS "Arrow Lock" used for postal service access to various mail boxes. Apparently the new Medeco Modified Arrow Lock (MAL). Possession by other than the USPS Postal Service is a federal crime which the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) vigorously enforces!

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    USPS "Arrow Lock" used for postal service access to various mail boxes. Apparently the new Medeco Modified Arrow Lock (MAL). Possession by other than the USPS Postal Service is a federal crime which the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) vigorously enforces!

Pete Schifferli
    Possession in itself is not illegal, however the method by which it was obtained, and/or the intent behind the possession can turn it into a criminal offence?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1704

It's illegal to have even after it's been scrapped?

Quote Originally Posted by CHAINSnCHERRIES View Post
    It's illegal to have even after it's been scrapped?
    As per my post above - it's not technically illegal to possess it.

Thank you both for the information and quick response! I'm certainly no expert, and will need to read further to confirm but, I do believe I fall on the right side of that definition...... *she said with cautious hesitation* lol
    I do some contracting with a scrapyard and was given this lock in the aftermath of a rather large wildfire clean up. As I read it, as long as I don't have any nefarious designs on her, I'm OK.
    Again, that's just my initial and untrained impression of what I have read. Totally possible that I am just dense and way off base, too.
    Something to investigate further in either case.
    Thank you again for such helpful information. ( ^ω^)

Default Help Identify Please

One more thing to add as the lock it Medeco there would not be anyway to cut these key only by authorized deal and I'm sure finding a blank for it wouldn't be on market....Timothy.....

Thread Information