Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
It's theoretically possible that the lock is a later addition to an earlier desk?

My immediate reaction from the picture is that it's 50s or slightly earlier. But it's no more than a gut instinct, really.
Its entirely possible, but the desk has an integrated drawer lock (push in the center drawer all the way and you feel it actuate a latching mechanism to lock the right hand upper drawer and lower file drawer (the file drawer needs some repair, as the latch is not catching anymore). And the lock install looks very clean and original. I need to look under the desk top to see if there is a matching strike plate, as well as investigate all the surfaces for more clues.

My initial estimation of the age of the desk is around WWII based on the dovetail joinery on all the drawers, the wood materials used, and the almost complete lack of metal. For metal on this desk I only have drawer handles, rails for the file drawer, the locking mechanism, the lock itself, and small metal studs in high wear spots like under the long wooden pillars the desk sits on). Everything else I've seen is wood on wood The desk also has pullout work surfaces (again, entirely made of wood) consisting of long planks above each of the top drawers, and a top made of 1.5" thick planks of tiger maple.

Not your normal desk of the 1960's, which would seem to me to have been made of more metal. This was why I inquired as to how far back this lock could have been produced (assuming its original to the desk of course). Its certainly worn and with enough patina to be at least the 1960's and possibly earlier. I don't think it would be anywhere before the 1940's though.

Thanks,

Bryan