Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    It's also possible that when the safe was taken out of service, somebody set it to whatever default was common locally rather than the factory default.
    As an example, in the US the DoD requires combination locks be set to 50-25-50 when taken out of service, and combination padlocks to 10-20-30 (why the difference?). This is per a document 5200.1-R paragraph 6.4.6.2.1.4 (http://ipscontainer.com/pdf/DoD5200.1-R.pdf page 79 for example).

OP, factory settings aside, I think you will be incredibly lucky if youve ended up with a safe that was thoughtfully set to factory numbers by the previous user, many unfortunately weren't. Knowing some history of the safe, where it came from and who was last to use it might of course give a few clues, throw up some new possibilities or rule out others.

Dont want to be pessimistic here but more than likely it's still set to the last users combination, in which case it's take your pick, and once you start down the route of 'trying all the possible obvious ones' there's unfortunately no boundary to trying all of them.

Looking at the location of the lock, it is almost certainly going to be a downward shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Looking at the location of the lock, it is almost certainly going to be a downward shoot.
    Agreed, when you consider how far the Manifoil is down from the top door edge, allowing for the overlap of the door in the body it's virtually guaranteed to be a down shoot which will end with 25.

Interesting. Thanks for all the insights. I have a few more things to try, but I am sure this is going to be a long-term project.

Years later ... my safe is still securely locked.

Perhaps some of the gurus will weigh in. l strongly advise you either to get it open or dispose of it. A locked safe which you can't open is a dangerous thing to have around. lf criminals visit you they will expect you to open it. lf you can't, they might try to persuade you.

Quote Originally Posted by soakes View Post
    Years later ... my safe is still securely locked.
    Hello again Soakes, bearing in mind it's nearly 3 years since members assisted you with this safe, and you still can't open it yourself, I'm not sure what you're expecting us lot to say or do now. I'd have thought the 2 choices are clearly live with it locked in your garage, or pay someone else to get it open like you mentioned. Your own quote below from January 2016 says it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by soakes View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I realise I could get a professional to open it. I also realise there is probably nothing in it. I also know that the brand of combination lock is notoriously difficult to crack.

Nevertheless, I want to try.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 07-12-18 at 11:17 PM.

Thread Information