Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think it fair to say that you will not be at all likely to manipulate the combination open. An auto dialler is an expensive and uncommon tool that could take easily 30 hours to open it -but the owner won't want to leave his expensive tool in your garage for a few days.

Indeed on both points, but I'm simply stating what I know to be possible, even if not necessarily practical.

The most common way that a Manifoil lock is overcome by a professional is by drilling to a point where they can observe the gates, from front or rear, and usually via borescope.

I think you could be right about the lock being a later addition. There is a small chip in the metal just towards the outside of the lock. Several people (in various forums) have now mentioned that the key lock is probably unlocked (and the key might be inside), which I am certainly hoping for, but the main thing is to get the combination unlocked!

As the Manifoil is a later addition, there is probably not a hardened plate. So drilling might be fairly simple. Without wishing to sound dismissive, I doubt if that door is very hard itself.

Have you tried dialling in a default code on the off-chance it's been reset?

50 - 25 - 50 is a common one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    Have you tried dialling in a default code on the off-chance it's been reset?

50 - 25 - 50 is a common one.
    Yes, I've tried several default combinations, each with the various final number options of 0, 25, 50 or 75. No luck. Having said that, I am not sure that the default combinations I have found are not all Mk4 ones; possibly the default combinations on earlier locks were different.

I doubt if that door is very hard itself.
    I'm pretty sure it's very hard. It is quite a substantial safe. In any case, I am leaving drilling as a finalish option...

Default An interesting piece of history

Here is a photo of the building used by the company that made the safe:
    http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/gid/slv-pic-aab32576

40 - 50 - 60 was the main Manifoil standard setting.

End numbers for the double (split) drive cam are 0, 25 and 75 depending on the mounting of the lock on the door:

Your safe won't end in zero- its only for left or right horizontal shoot (ie. wall safes)

25- down shoot (bolt shooting away from arrow mark on bezel)

75- up shoot (bolt shooting same direction as arrow mark on bezel)

50? That's a new one on me as all 4 positions are covered by 0, 25 & 75 ! Good Luck!

Silly me, engage brain before blurting..

Right-hand horizontal shoot with bezel mounted the right way up (with arrow mark at top) would indeed need '50' at the end to work, although not recommended as when mounted such, the lock is in effect 'upside down' and the drop arm Spring has to operate the full weight of the drop arm against gravity. But yes, 50 would be needed.

Perhaps I should also have been less 'certain' about the end number for your safe- 'highly unlikely' it ends in zero would perhaps be better, it would certainly need highly unusual modifications to the boltwork for the Manifoil to have a horizontal throw.

The Manifoil on your safe is most likely a very basic vertical shoot locking directly into the tail bar, and you will of course need to determine the same for the key lock, Doing so will then confirm whether the keylock is in fact locked, or unlocked (if you are lucky). Until you determine all this though Its all guesses, and I have a feeling it could get tedious at times depending on your skills and abilities, as there is only so much we can tell you on here.

As sometimes happens, there various claims about the factory default combination for Manifoils. One is indeed 40-50-60-(final number). I have images of an instruction sheet where somebody wrote 50-25-50-25. At http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewto...342&highlight= another possibility is claimed of 50-40-30-0. At http://www.security.org/search/MSL_0...CORD_NUMBER=25 it is claimed that "50" was used (R to 50, twice L to 0, R to stop) but then 40-50-60 was used for later models.

It's also possible that when the safe was taken out of service, somebody set it to whatever default was common locally rather than the factory default.

Though it's a 3-wheel lock, it dials like a 4-wheel. At least it seems that way to me.

Thread Information